Re: What the **** is going on!!!???

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: What the **** is going on!!!???
  • From: "alcinababe" <alcinababe@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:34:28 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@u...> wrote:

> An appliance module controlling a light will be very reliable - but
they are
> noisy when they operate (the click of the relay)

Aren't they just!  I have one to switch my radio on in the morning and it's
the
click that wakes me before the radio does!

> - lamp modules blow their
> fuses quite regularly when bulbs blow but they are easy to replace -
but the
> WAF factor is low.  Typically when it doesn't work the bulb will be
> replaced, thrown away again and then replaced again before you get
consulted
> - so you go through double the number of bulbs - and another ' why
can't we
> just have ordinary light's' grilling.

Ah....the joys of being the woman of the house!  I don't have to worry
about
WAF! :)  In fact, I'm rather fond of half finished, slightly Heath Robinson
looking
gadgets around the place!  Actually, it's usually me that put them there!

> Previously when a bulb blew you replaced it - then we moved to lower
fuse
> rated lighting circuits and included the possibility that a fuse or
mcb
> might have tripped too - but it was easy to realise as many lights
went out
> and something 'stuck out' in your fuse box. Now we have a fuse in each
triac
> based lighting device - and wall switches even plus all the other
> possibilities too.

Yup.   So many fuses.....so little time to check them all before the
torch's
battery wears out.  :(  Ah....I feel a pining for the days of the single
Frankenstein switch.  Fuses...who needs 'em.   It's alive I tell
you....it's alive!!!!
Totally OT...I think the future will be fuseless...just look at the
fireworks every
time a Star Trek ship gets hit.  Not a single fuse in sight! :)

Alcina