Re: Sensors / Switches / etc

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Sensors / Switches / etc
  • From: "patricklidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:45:23 -0000

> What I want to understand is the reason to use ethernet based home
> automation devices and not something serial using a single wire
which is a
> lot cheaper and easy to be build (even using a spare pair from a
CAT5
> cable.).
>
> Ant comments are wellcome.

Some thoughts:

- Convenient, existing TCP/IP network is already in place whereas the
serial one isn't.

- Serial networks require a purpose built hub if they are to be used
with conventional star-topology cat5 cabling

- Fast. Time lag on a multi-device serial bus can be a big issue.

- Integrates with existing PC based controllers quickly and easily
(no need for serial-ethernet bridges or a spare serial port)

Best compromise in terms of cost/performance:

- Put an ethernet to serial bridge in each room, connected to the
cat5 TCP/IP infrastructure.

- Use serial locally for a limited number of devices (e.g. temp
sensors etc) which are connected to the ethernet bridge.

Patrick