RE: Solar heated hot water

Hi,

I would like to point out that these Dutch folks do use a LOT of wind
power...
Driving past the local 'collection' point I can see from their illuminated
sign
the number of households they are currently serving with wind power,
usually
it's in the region fo 6000 to 7000 - which in essence is 6000-7000 less
people
using power from fossil fuels (I appreciate its not as clear cut as that).

Many local farmers and also the seal sanctuary use smaller versions to
generate some power to cut their costs.

The downside of course is the fact that the countryside is littered with
hideous white wind turbines which IMHO look terrible - if they painted them
gray they probably wouldn;t be so obvious... there are LOTS and LOTS of
them
though.. I haven't counted them but can imagine that there are probably
more
turbines than houses they are serving....(that's not fact btw)

I think there are some key factors that makewind power more acceptable to
the
Dutch providers:

1. Wind is free and the Dutch like things that are free..

2. I've yet to see a Dutch mountain, which means the wind passes from one
side
of the country to the other without too much of a problem. Often it passes
through
solid objects, such as myself, cutting as it goes.

3. I live some 3m below sea level, previously the land was, errm, the sea
bed which
means we get strong winds from the North..

>I do have three solar-powered garden lights. They are just about
capable
>of revealing their locations after dark, if you know where to look.

Moonbeams or something like that? Sound like a great idea until you
buy them and find out that the level of light they give off is akin to
turning
on a torch putting it in a cupboard and closing the door... A more
practical
solution is I guess Ian's garden lighting which iirc uses very little
power..perhaps
Ian's lights could be converted to run off a wind power charged battery :P

Andy

On 03/04/2003 at 00:58 K. C. Li wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Bruno Prior wrote:
>
>> Please forgive the lecture (you can probably tell that it's
something I
>> am passionate about) and thank you for supporting renewables.
>
>Thank you for a refreshingly informative posting on renewable energy.
>Perhaps Mark McCall should consider an award for the most fascinating
HA