RE: "Mid-Band" - Hope for rural Home Automators!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: "Mid-Band" - Hope for rural Home Automators!
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:46:18 -0000

I can't find myself getting even remotely excited about this.

This is nothing more than re-branded Home Highway, and the devil wil, as
always,
be in the details. "it will not be completely always-on" meaning what?

Call charges? limited hours at 128K?

If this was a new technology which would provide adsl like latency, then
even the low bandwidth of 128K would not be too bad, but it won't. It will
be the same old tripe re-hashed yet again.

[rant]
I'm sorry for the negative rant, but I'm sick to death of BT "pushing
broadband" by running stupidly expensive campaigns. I'm sick to death of a
toothless regulator who won't *force* the cable companies to actualy get out
there and install cable in their franchise areas. If I hear *one* more
broadband advert, I swear, it's nuisance lawsuit time. "emotional distress"
or something like that.

I'm getting sick of having not one, but TWO incumbent telcos serving my
area, preventing any competition from setting up, and neither one bothering
to actually install services. They don't want my business, because they are
fat, rich, monopolists, who know they can just reach out and throw another
scrap of cake over the wall when it suits them, rather than competing like
any other business would have to.

BT's pathetic pre-registration scheme is getting me to the point of bile
too.

Oh yes, come here, and sign up so many of your mates that the equipment
installation is completeley paid 110% by the time we go live, and every
single bean is 100% profit from there on. oh yeah, *THAT* sounds like
"championing" broadband.

"yeah, we will do it, as long as the financial risk to us, even though we
are a massive corporate with millions in government contracts, who will
subsequently be able to milk the infrastructure for another ten years, is
absolute zero, nada, zilch, nothing."

I'm off to look at property again.

Because the only way I, or any of the millions of people who simply cannot
get broadband (by which I mean 512K or higher with LAN-like latency, not a
joke service or space-and-back latency) is to leave the home I love and move
somewhere else.

And seeing as the only damn property enabled anywhere near here is either
shitsville slums, or slap bang in the heart of the city, I need to give up
quality of life to get broadband.

glad to be in the UK, huh?
[/rant]

I wait with (not so) baited breath.