THX and Arcam's reply to questions.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: THX and Arcam's reply to questions.
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:31:41 -0000

I asked the following question of Arcam. Apart from the mistake (I think?) = about THX being related to picture quality, anyone got any thoughts on this= ? As per a previous post, I recently got a Onkyo DVS939 DVD player but have= had some problems with really bad lip synch (more than the 80ms a plasma i= s supposedly meant to take up with processing the picture). I'm going to bo= rrow an Arcam DV88P at the weekend and do a side-by-side comparison but won= dered how much of a difference a THX Ultra certified DVD player (the Onkyo)= would make to the sound quality? (I'm toying with the idea of a THX speake= r set in the future - but the one I've seen is =A35500!)

Q: Do any of your DVD players have THX (ultra 2) certification? If not, how= much of a difference does this make to sound quality?

A: In answer to your questions we don't currently make a THX specified DVD = player, there are about 5 in the world and they are very expensive. It make= s no difference to the sound as the THX specification only covers the Pictu= re quality as THX is a list of specifications  that helps an amplifier= process a Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 sound track. Or in THX Ultra2's case a= true 7.1 sound track. The specifications are laid down in the same way for= DVD picture quality. Any amplifier can be made into THX if it follows the = Lucas specifications to the T.

The DVD-A upgrade for the DVD players will be available within the next 2-4= months, although the price has not confirmed I think it will be around the= =A3350 mark.