RE: grrrrr.....

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: grrrrr.....
  • From: "Gerard McGovern" <stuff@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 18:35:13 +0100

I think you have missed the point, so I will attempt to explain.

Ethernet to deliver broadband services is not a new idea and I never
suggested that it couldn't be done. I pointed out two things. One,
Ethernet does not mean 10 Mb/sec and that the service would be
unreliable.

Take UUNet, who operate one of the biggest backbones in the UK if not
the world. Between Europe and the USA, UUNet have two 2.5 Gbps lines.
Imagine if every broadband user in UK, of which there are 200,000, had
10 Mb/sec of bandwidth. Even operating at contention ratios of 100:1
(which is way too high), you would need just under 20 Gbps of bandwidth.
Give it 5 years, and 10 Mb/sec for every broadband user would be
possible. Until then, not a chance in hell.

But of course, you knew that, right?

Oh, and thanks for putting the link with \\ instead of //. You managed
to copy The Register article with // but the link for me had \\. Ho ho,
that really made me laugh.

  =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95
  Gerard McGovern
  Webmonkey to the stars

    gerard@xxxxxxx     http://www.inkiboo.co= m

  =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk