RE: grrrrr.....

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: grrrrr.....
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 19:56:21 +0100

> Take UUNet, who operate one of the biggest backbones in the
> UK if not the world. Between Europe and the USA, UUNet have
> two 2.5 Gbps lines. Imagine if every broadband user in UK, of
> which there are 200,000, had 10 Mb/sec of bandwidth. Even
> operating at contention ratios of 100:1 (which is way too
> high), you would need just under 20 Gbps of bandwidth.

You are assuming that all 200,000 use it fully all the time.
However if the volume is the same or similar, then everyone gets faster
response and the actual amount of data stays the same, I can see that
however the bandwitch could get used up for other applications, but
given the current use of the internet I can see that 10Mb/sec is ok.
After all we have had 10Mb/s Ethernet for over a 15 years, sure you
might peak at 10mb/s but it does not normally mean that everyone on
you're segment will all the time use all the bandwidth.

John

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!