RE: RS232 or RF X10?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: RS232 or RF X10?
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:07:52 -0000

Tim,

To be honest, (and I appreciate that this is probably close to apocryphal)
think X-10 is seriously over rated.

At the US pricing level, where an X-10 module is scant dollars more than a
dumb switch, I can see the flakiness, unreliability, and restrictions as
something you would live with. Not at the 30-40GBP per unit level.

In your case specifically Tim, If you have the financial means to look at
the higher end wired controllers, I think you would be *insane* to use
X-10.

of course, I have a general dislike and mistrust of wireless solutions, and
prefer most things wired.

Still, I can't help but think that getting used to pressing a switch,
waiting a second, and *THEN* the light comes on, is not a habit I wish to
get into.

I have seen my visiting friends switch on the light, then instinctively
press the button again, because RF based X-10 is just so damn slow.

Given how fast a PIC Chip *could* operate lights etc in respose to a button
being pressed, X-10 looks like a technology that's needing a serious
update.

Ian.