Re: RS232 or RF X10?

At 16:22 13/02/2002 +0000, Mark McCall wrote:
>But that's only the X10 wireless.  Because of the RF to MAINs to LIGHT
>chain.  Designing a new RF soloution from the ground up with todays
>technology it would be instantaneous.

Actually the wireless bit is not to blame, it is the X10 transmission
taking 1/2 sec or so.

Press A1 on an RF remote and the appliance switch built into the TM12
switches instantly, so the RF bit is fine.
Compare this to switching an appliance module on A2 from the same RF remote
and you notice a difference as TM12 has to send X10 to module.
Then if you add a controller the X10 goes to the controller then X10 back
out to the module, doubling the delay.

I guess as I don't have a controller, the single X10 delay is fine for me,
but I cannot do scenes. And if I add a controller to allow scenes, then it
will all get slower due to two X10 delays!!!

One way round this is the MR26 RF receiver that has a serial output that
sends instantly to the PC, then you only have PC to device X10 delay.
However this is US frequency only, as far as I know.

Yes, wired has several advantages, except cost!

Martin