RE: Power triggering

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Power triggering
  • From: "Doogie Brodie" <doogiebrodie@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:27:30 -0000

> the original TV remote.  This is why the X10 IR module must
> be able to pick up on the TV ON signal and send a signal to
> the relevant appliance module
> (or more likely to a virtual HS module to then send it for me....)

OK... That's not something that is supported by the simple IR->X10 boxes
(543 and 7243.... Can't check part numbers just now but I'm pretty sure
they're basically the same thing, ISTR one has passed some sort of
classification and the other hasn't or something)

You are looking at either replacing the current TV remote with one which
can send an X10 signal and the TV signal in one button press, but be
able to do it in the correct order with a delay, since if your TV is off
at the wall, it may take a second or so from X10 on, to it listening for
an IR "come out of standby" signal - you say not a Pronto.....
I'm not
sure what else supports things like this, I'm 99% sure the old Marantz
control which used to be considered the cats pyjamas before the Pronto
came along (excluding Creston etc obviously) will do this..... The
RC2000 http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/review-rc2000.html
but that is
probably going to be more of a sideways step than you want to go
with....

The other option which means keeping the TV remote, or one very similar
to it would be where remote sends an IR signal which is intercepted by a
sensor (feeding to homevision, homeseer or something else) and that then
triggers a macro to either send go into standby to TV then shut module
off a couple of mins later, or switch module on, then send come out of
standby a few seconds later.... But then there's the issue of the TV
seeing the IR twice..............

What about a bedside timer controller clock with a TV on/ off
button......? Its still only one button for either on or off, which
would send the appropriate IR and X10 commands, based on it transmitting
X10...... But is a "New" button to press instead of the one on
the
remote.......

This is getting pretty tricky....! :D

> the TV remote (think it has one...) and having to press the
> learned X10 on button followed by the TV on button - again
> not likely.  It's not that SWMBO is unreasonable, just that
> she sees no advantage in pressing two buttons over the
> current one button operation.

Hehehehhehehehe.... You should've heard mine the first time she found
some areas of the kitchen outside the range of PIR, which she wanted to
be in for over the timeout period.... Eek! Hence the reason I now have a
"Keep kitchen lights on no matter what" override function! :D

Doogie