Multi-room MP3 X10 RF control

Hi Michael and anyone else interested in my work-in-progress home brew RF
MP3 system,

The MP3 server PC is an Athlon 1GHz currently running Win98 with the lounge
TV acting as the monitor, a BTC infra red keyboard, a SoundBlaster live
connected to the TV (and TV to the Lounge HiFi) and a PC X10 interface. The
lounge HiFi uses a spare tape loop output to connect to a mini system in
the
Kitchen and its AUX output is connected to a mini system in the bedroom.
Luckily all the HiFi systems seem to have a pass through even when they are
turned off. So each zone has a local system but can access the computer/TV
audio output. The MP3 selection is controlled by announcements and
selections made using an X10 RF transmitter (lounge is a IR/RF remote,
kitchen & bedroom standard X10 RF remotes). The combinations of
different
on, off, bright and dim switches allow complex voice menus to be navigated
or I have a very basic "9 on" = play, "9 off" = stop,
"9 bright" = next
song, "9 dim" = previous song - this works well when the MP3
player is in
random mode. I wrote the software in Tcl/Tk so it would be portable to
different OSes, namely Linux. The voice recognition and speech software is
Microsoft SAPI but I'm finding Version 5.1 is not as reliable as Version 4.
The basic "9" interface is very reliable but the menu system
requires some
more thought to classify music and reduce the number of choices to
something
more memorable.

--
Alex Goodyear.