WAS - PBX ADSL DECT ... 26 handsets NOW Meteor and Comfort alternative

Thanks to Tim & Patrick - both very useful advice.

I have now re-thought my requirements and an analogue 2 line 8 extension (16 phones ?) would be more than suffice. If I hang a couple of DECT phones and slave them to the master, I can have even more phones. But realistically how many do I need ? Not even 16 - so again just because you can do it does not mean you have to.

One question Patrick how can you run more than one handset of one extension - will it be a series of slaves to the one plugged into the master socket, and if so how do I ensure there is sufficient power ?

As part of my research I found an amazing PBX  - www.ultimate106.co.uk - it has talking caller id a la Meteor, and has a optional door entry kit which can be used to divert calls to a mobile etc if you are not in a la Comfort alarm system. It has 1 line, 6 extensions and recommends a maximum of 12 handsets. Here is blurb from the site

Call Director
Routes calls direct to the extension required

Personal Voice Mail For Each Extension
Every extension has it's own voice mail box

Dedicated Fax Extension
Fax calls can be directed straight to the fax machine or with call sign the user can identify if the incoming call is a fax or phone call

Talking Caller ID
Announce the number of the caller; and the name if stored in memory

Optional Door Intercom/Entry System
Allows you to talk to visitors or unlock the door >from

Visitors can leave a message on voice mail when you are out
Door intercom calls can be forwarded to an external number where you can be reached (e.g. mobile number)

Music On Hold
Plays music whilst callers are on hold
Compatibility with CD player allows any recording to be played
Simultaneous Internal & External Calls
Can make 1 external call as well as 2 internal calls simultaneously

Privacy On Calls
Other extensions can not listen in or interrupt a call

Hotline Extension
Lift the handset and a pre-set number is automatically dialed

50 Memory Speed Dialing
Stores up to 50 numbers in 2 digit locations

Automatic Call Back
Lets you know when the line is free, when another extension is free, or when the person you are calling is off the line

Payphone Extension
Direct access to outside line with no need to dial 9 or install an additional line

Day & Night Mode
Allows you to control at what time of day or night your extensions will ring

Cost around £150 plus VAT.

Fantastic value I think.

I am looking for a 2 line alternative to this, but no joy. Anyone any ideas ? Tim?

Cheers

Umar
Tim said

Re-reading through your post I think you are just being a bit ridiculous with the number of handsets (looking at 26 of the things and at the same time being really cost conscious) . I’ve just installed an 8 extension ISDN DECT system in a house that is 55m from end to end. Three of the phones are portable handsets, and 5 are fixed. That works well, and the total cost was around 850 quid.

Maybe there are other factors to consider, but I’ve spent a large part of the last week looking at phones, so I can probably answer most of your questions.

Tim

and Patrick said

Since it sounds like you need a mixture of DECT and wired sockets, I
would go for a fixed PBX and then hang a DECT base station(s) off one
or more extensions, rather than going for just a DECT base station on
its own - most DECT base stations are limited in the number of
handsets they support, I don't know of any that would go to 26! Also
be aware that compatibility between PBX's and DECT handsets isn't
great - the minor difference in the way the ring is generated by a
PBX is sometimes not picked up by DECT base stations, so the DECT
handsets do not ring.

Finally, there are very few analogue PBX's that support caller id
pass through - if this is important to you, it's going to cost you!

Exchange and Mart have a good list of second hand suppliers. It is
essential that you get full configuration docs with your PBX! If you
can get away with a 2 exch lines + 8 extension configuration, then
keep an eye out for a second hand Olycrom. Avoid antique BT kit -
esp. Ambassadors/Renown. And whatever PBX you choose, try to get one
which will work with both system phones AND conventional analogue
handsets. Otherwise, if looking for something new, Solwise
(
www.solwise.co.uk) carry a range of competitively priced new PBXs.
Pansonic PBXs are also well respected and feature rich. A google
search should turn up DECT handsets - Siemens have a good reputation.

---

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor