Re: PBX ADSL DECT ... 26 handsets

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: PBX ADSL DECT ... 26 handsets
  • From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrickl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 09:58:16 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Umar" <umar@d...> wrote:
> I have worked out that I will probably need 26 telephones in my new
build -
> so bang goes my REN of 4 !!!
>
> I will hope to have ADSL installed in, and for cost reasons this
will be a
> self install (wires only) as opposed to engineer install.
>
> I also want the flexibility of DECT.
>
> Therefore a PBX with DECT seems logical.
>
> Few questions
>
> According to pipex, their self install will not work with switching
> equipment "ADSL is only available on a standard BT telephone line
> terminating via a standard BT telephone socket. ADSL will not work
with any
> type of telephone switch equipment." - is PBX switching equipment ?
>
> If so can anyone recommend an ADSL wires only provider who can use
a PBX ?

You will have no problem connecting an analogue PBX (or DECT phone
designed to interface to an analogue line) to an ADSL line.

> Can anyone recommend a good value PBX/DECT system - new or
secondhand ?

If it is only then REN that is the problem, and you don't really need
a PBX, you can get REN boosters to support a REN > 4. BT sell them...

If you do really need a PBX:

You need to decide if you need support for multiple incoming lines,
or if one line will be enough.

You then need to decide on how many extensions you need. PBX
extensions can have more than one handset wired to them (e.g. your 26
phones could be wired to say 8 extensions)

This will give you the dimensions of the PBX you are looking for,
which is specified as exchange lines + extensions (e.g. 2 + 8 is 2
exch lines, 8 extensions)

Since it sounds like you need a mixture of DECT and wired sockets, I
would go for a fixed PBX and then hang a DECT base station(s) off one
or more extensions, rather than going for just a DECT base station on
its own - most DECT base stations are limited in the number of
handsets they support, I don't know of any that would go to 26! Also
be aware that compatibility between PBX's and DECT handsets isn't
great - the minor difference in the way the ring is generated by a
PBX is sometimes not picked up by DECT base stations, so the DECT
handsets do not ring.

Finally, there are very few analogue PBX's that support caller id
pass through - if this is important to you, it's going to cost you!

Exchange and Mart have a good list of second hand suppliers. It is
essential that you get full configuration docs with your PBX! If you
can get away with a 2 exch lines + 8 extension configuration, then
keep an eye out for a second hand Olycrom. Avoid antique BT kit -
esp. Ambassadors/Renown. And whatever PBX you choose, try to get one
which will work with both system phones AND conventional analogue
handsets. Otherwise, if looking for something new, Solwise
(www.solwise.co.uk) carry a range of competitively priced new PBXs.
Pansonic PBXs are also well respected and feature rich. A google
search should turn up DECT handsets - Siemens have a good reputation.

HTH

Patrick

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor