RE: Linux ....grrrr!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Linux ....grrrr!
  • From: "Tony Butler" <roaming@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 12:23:19 +0100

> Quoting Tony Butler (roaming@xxxxxxx):
> > > Windows might not be as bomb proof as Linux but it does work...
> >
> > Indeed - a small but, I feel, important point :-)
>
> A largely meaningless point.

Not at all.  Windows is compatible with more hardware than linux -
largely no doubt due to windows drivers being written for said hardware
by the manufacturers from day one rather than relying on someone with
enough free time to write one for linux.

If linux won't even install properly then it somewhat reduces the
chances of it taking over the world.  Reliability after install is
another issue altogether.

The stupid thing with my install is Mandrake runs a graphical install
routine so clearly X can and did work on my PC.

This is similar to a situation a few years ago where I tried out OS/2
Warp.
After installing it, it did not like my graphics card so I could only
get 16 colours and refused to believe I had a sound card - even though
it was a soundblaster - a reasonably well known make.
Yet if I ran windows under OS/2 guess what?  Graphics card fine and
sound card fine - just native OS/2 that didn't like em.
So of course OS/2 went in the bin and I went back to a native Win
install that worked just fine....

BTW, I just tried your suggestion of running xf86config and told it what
card I had etc and still no joy - - no devices found.

Tony

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click here to visit our exclusive feature of ACUVUE2
Colours at LensExpress.com!
Click here to find your contact lenses!