RE: Linux ....grrrr!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Linux ....grrrr!
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 12:17:21 +0100

> > > Windows might not be as bomb proof as Linux but it does work...
> >
> > Indeed - a small but, I feel, important point :-)
>
> A largely meaningless point.

Not meaningless at all - in fact a very important point ... If it does
what is necessary then why change?

Linux doesn't run the software that I want it to (lets ignore Windows
emulators as then we're back to Windows anyway). My wife uses Windows at
work ... She doesn't want to learn a new computer system and way of
working. She didn't like Linux when I installed it on the "spare" PC as
it didn't work the way she expected and it wouldn't run her family tree
software.

At work we have huge product databases from HP and Lexmark - no Linux
versions of those databases are available.

I'm not knocking Linux, I'm not praising Windows ... I'm just saying
that for most of us Windows is the easiest route to getting what we
want. Win98 is actually quite stable as long as you don't get too
ambitious and really thrash the machine hard with lots of tasks. Win2000
I have had running on my server and haven't had many problems with at
all and I run XP on my lappy and it has been wonderfully wel behaved.

Phil

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor