Re: Linux Terminal Server Project WAS Re: Cheap Control Panels?

Sorry but am i stating the obvious here but why go to the bother of
installing Linux and then add terminal services on top of it then add
win4lin just to run outlook remotely ?

why not just use Win2K Terminal services or XP Remote Desktop (I know Remote
desktop is diff to Terminal services but uses same technology)

I use XP remote desktop on my wireless lappy and Wireless Epod to control my
main Machine, mean if Im reading email or surfing on the main machine, get
up and leave it, i can grab the lappy or the epod and connect to the same
desktop to continue wirelessly from somewhere else, works great.

I can also run a new session on my Win2K server to run specific application
that will not interfer with the desktops of either XP or Win2K.

Thin Client technology has been around in windows for years, In my job we
have had over the years Winframe (NT 3.51), NT4 TS , with Metaframe 1.8 on
top, Win2K with Metaframe XPe on top. I know once you start talking about
Citrix Metaframe you into big bucks but Im just trying to show the maturity
of Terminal services windows.

Right now in work we have a 14 server load balanced 700 user Metaframe farm
and it's as stable as a big stable thing on a stable day.

oops I seemdeed to have ranted on here a bit, but im a thin client
evangelist !

:o)

laters

D.

> Michael,
>
> My knowledge of this and Linux in general is basic to say the least
> so forgive my daft questions.
>
> As I understand it the server side parts of this project are
> installed over a standard distribution of Linux (I have Suse7.1)
>
> unsing win4lin would then allow me to run bog standard outlook and IE
> on the server and see it remotely on the thin client? Any idea how
> well it would cope with multiple instances of ann app like outlook at
> once (would be nice if everything displayed on the thin client looked
> the same as that when using the full blown PC's upstairs in the
> office?
>
> this setup would allow me to have thin clients around the house
> (thinking Kitchen and bedrooms in particular where it would be hard
> to accomodate a full pc, even a small one) with touchscreens and RF
> keyboards and not have the drawbacks of another umpteen sets of
> microsoft software to maintain and the noise created by hard drives
> whirring
>
> Could the thin client not also act as a very crude streaming media
> player for multi room audio at the same time, again thinking bedrooms
> (background music/radio requirement rather than HiFi)
>
> Before I get to carried away with the benefits of this solution over
> everything suggested so far, anybody fancy injecting some reality?
>
> Regards
>
> Paul
> --- In ukha_d@y..., "Michael Van Wesenbeeck"
> <michael.van.wesenbeeck@p...> wrote:
> > Has anyone had a look at www.ltsp.org ?
> >
> > This is the linux terminal server project.  What they have to offer
> is a way
> > to make thin-clients run apps on a server.  The apps just get
> displayed
> > remotely through the Xserver. They run in server memory.
> >
> > This could have multiple advantages:
> >
> > 1) no hard-disk, cdrom or floppy needed in client device.
> > 2)all administration is done on the server.
> > 3)multimedia , internet, e-mail access
> > 4)has full support for ELO-touchscreens
> > 5)one can put windows on top of linux (win4lin)
> > 6)no OS-licenses for client-devices (e.g. PocketPC)
> > 7)regular network connection 10(/100)BaseT (over regular CAT5)
> > 8) ... if anyone can think of anything else?
> >
> > disadvantage: it's linux again.
> >
> > Now we just need a thin-client ($330 @ www.disklessworkstations.com)
> > Or built one yourself:
> > -touchscreen LCD
> > -small motherboard (IR-support?) with onboard sound.
> > -bootable network card
> > -32MB Ram  -> everyone has these laying around, right?
> > -200Mhz CPU  -should be enough (even with streaming mp3's in mind)
> >
> > With a solution like this, you have access to a full-featured OS
> (several
> > flavours of linux) so I know it would be overkill to have this
> functionality
> > in 15 rooms...  But maybe this can be used in your most important
> rooms.

> [...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click here for more selections... Click here to visit LensExpress.com Avucue2 Colours ACUVUE Disposables FreshLook Colorblends Disposables Focus Night & Day Continous Wear Get Wild... with Wild Eyes!
Click here to find your contact lenses!