Linux Terminal Server Project WAS Re: Cheap Control Panels?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Linux Terminal Server Project WAS Re: Cheap Control Panels?
  • From: "paul_watkin" <paul_watkin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 16:07:56 -0000

Michael,

My knowledge of this and Linux in general is basic to say the least
so forgive my daft questions.

As I understand it the server side parts of this project are
installed over a standard distribution of Linux (I have Suse7.1)

unsing win4lin would then allow me to run bog standard outlook and IE
on the server and see it remotely on the thin client? Any idea how
well it would cope with multiple instances of ann app like outlook at
once (would be nice if everything displayed on the thin client looked
the same as that when using the full blown PC's upstairs in the
office?

this setup would allow me to have thin clients around the house
(thinking Kitchen and bedrooms in particular where it would be hard
to accomodate a full pc, even a small one) with touchscreens and RF
keyboards and not have the drawbacks of another umpteen sets of
microsoft software to maintain and the noise created by hard drives
whirring

Could the thin client not also act as a very crude streaming media
player for multi room audio at the same time, again thinking bedrooms
(background music/radio requirement rather than HiFi)

Before I get to carried away with the benefits of this solution over
everything suggested so far, anybody fancy injecting some reality?

Regards

Paul
--- In ukha_d@y..., "Michael Van Wesenbeeck"
<michael.van.wesenbeeck@p...> wrote:
> Has anyone had a look at www.ltsp.org ?
>
> This is the linux terminal server project.  What they have to offer
is a way
> to make thin-clients run apps on a server.  The apps just get
displayed
> remotely through the Xserver. They run in server memory.
>
> This could have multiple advantages:
>
> 1) no hard-disk, cdrom or floppy needed in client device.
> 2)all administration is done on the server.
> 3)multimedia , internet, e-mail access
> 4)has full support for ELO-touchscreens
> 5)one can put windows on top of linux (win4lin)
> 6)no OS-licenses for client-devices (e.g. PocketPC)
> 7)regular network connection 10(/100)BaseT (over regular CAT5)
> 8) ... if anyone can think of anything else?
>
> disadvantage: it's linux again.
>
> Now we just need a thin-client ($330 @ www.disklessworkstations.com)
> Or built one yourself:
> -touchscreen LCD
> -small motherboard (IR-support?) with onboard sound.
> -bootable network card
> -32MB Ram  -> everyone has these laying around, right?
> -200Mhz CPU  -should be enough (even with streaming mp3's in mind)
>
> With a solution like this, you have access to a full-featured OS
(several
> flavours of linux) so I know it would be overkill to have this
functionality
> in 15 rooms...  But maybe this can be used in your most important
rooms.

> PS:  I'm not an affiliate of these companies.  Just excited about
the
> possibilities.
>
> Michael.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor