Re: Linux Terminal Server Project WAS Re: Cheap Control Panels?

Panels?

> As I understand it the server side parts of this project are
> installed over a standard distribution of Linux (I have Suse7.1)

Yep.  all supported distros are on ltsp.org

> unsing win4lin would then allow me to run bog standard outlook and IE
> on the server and see it remotely on the thin client? Any idea how
> well it would cope with multiple instances of ann app like outlook at

Yes, that's basically why I suggested it, but linux has lots of replacements
for a mail client like Outlook.  Have a look at
www.nagarur.com/linuxbee/linwin.htm for windows replacements.
Opera is a nice linux webbrowser.  I like IE too, but it seems to crash
pretty often these days on my win2k box.

> this setup would allow me to have thin clients around the house
> (thinking Kitchen and bedrooms in particular where it would be hard
> to accomodate a full pc, even a small one) with touchscreens and RF
> keyboards and not have the drawbacks of another umpteen sets of
> microsoft software to maintain and the noise created by hard drives
> whirring

For sure! no extra OS licenses. and the clients can be solid state! (less
heat, less noise)

> Could the thin client not also act as a very crude streaming media
> player for multi room audio at the same time, again thinking bedrooms
> (background music/radio requirement rather than HiFi)

Haven't really looked in to this yet, but ltsp does support running local
apps in the clients, so you could run an MP3 player on the client that gets
it's content from the server.  Sound is supported on the KDE3, but this
needed some recompiling.  A HOWTO will be put on their site. With the next
revision of the ltsp package it should be included.  I suggest you look at
their site and see if /when sound is really supported.

Hope this helps,

Michael ;-)

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click here to visit our exclusive feature of ACUVUE2
Colours at LensExpress.com!
Click here to find your contact lenses!