Re: Cheap Control Thread

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Cheap Control Thread
  • From: "Marcus Warrington" <marcusw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:11:36 +0100

> Why 15 panels?

I said 15 because that's how many rooms I have (well 13 rooms and 2
hallways).

> Why use the likes of Palms, whatcha gonna do? Wall-embed them, ofso
> why and how are you gonna achieve that given that AFAIK there is no
> wall mount about that will allow a network card to stick out of it
> and look nice, if the two are even pheasable!? This is the only
> reason I can see for the amount required so...

Yes , the idea was to build/mould a cover or frame and locate embed
them in the wall next to the light switch. They could then be linked
back to node0 via the serial port over cat5 cable. The display could
be tailored for each room but would consist of a few "soft" buttons
to allow Volume control of whole house audio / Voice announcements /
Dimming lights/MP3 song selection etc. Not only flexible but because
the actual control (the panels are simply sending commands back to
node0) is in node0 volumes / lights etc can be overridden by HA etc
i.e. Reset volume to off at midnight etc

> Phil was trying to get wall mounts made for the Fuji's and even that
> would be a nightmare to install IMO and a total pain in the ass if
> you decided to move it, or house ;) Again the problem of the card
> sticking out of it kinda kills the idea IMO. Also consider the cost
> of running all these devices 24/7 as for the functionality of the
> likes of a Fuji you are basically running a small PC! :(

Palms shouldn't cost much too run.. they last months of a couple of
AAA batteries. They are also very small so I can't see why they
wouldn't fit in a recessed flush mounting box.

> The ePODs are far more suitable (IMHO) for this sort of application

Absolutely.. I agree 100%.. problem is I don't have any ePods and
can't find any for sale. Also there is a cost factor to consider
I need 15 remember!

> Now a WLAN enabled i-Paq type device that is useable as a glorified
> remote sitting on a cradle as you enter the room seems a far more
> sensible idea and allows a whole lot more to be done, or a dedicated
> wall panel designed for the job seems a better bet, albeit a lot
> more expensive. However, I more or less do this by having
> strategically placed Prontos and an IR distribution system in
place,
> again not the cheapest option but it does work, is flexible and is
> as expandable as I need it to be.

Nice idea.. and if it works for you then very flexible. In my
house I have enough difficulty trying to find out where the kids
have left the TV/DogiBox/DVD/VCR remotes without having another
one for them to loose.

Marcus

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor