Re: Cheap Control Thread

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cheap Control Thread
  • From: "graham_howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:54:07 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "kennethwatt" <kennwatt@b...> wrote:
> Why 15 panels?
>
> Why use the likes of Palms, whatcha gonna do? Wall-embed them, of
so
> why and how are you gonna achieve that given that AFAIK there is no
> wall mount about that will allow a network card to stick out of it
> and look nice, if the two are even pheasable!? This is the only
> reason I can see for the amount required so...

Well, although I'm not quite planning 15 wall mounted devices, I amm
planning to stick 5 ePODs on the wall (all running HomeAutomator of
course).

> Phil was trying to get wall mounts made for the Fuji's and even
that
> would be a nightmare to install IMO and a total pain in the ass if
> you decided to move it, or house ;) Again the problem of the card
> sticking out of it kinda kills the idea IMO. Also consider the cost
> of running all these devices 24/7 as for the functionality of the
> likes of a Fuji you are basically running a small PC! :(

The ePODs are far more suitable (IMHO) for this sort of application
for the following reasons:
1. they are very thin, so I reckon I can easily make a 'picture
frame' type of surround and hang them on the wall, therefore no need
for big holes in the wall.
2. I intend to fit the network card 'permanently' as per the details
here (http://www.solarfish.com/epods/index.htm) so that there is
no 'dongle' or anything else sticking out.
3. They don't need that much power and don't seem to get too hot even
if left on for a long time (I tested leaving one powered on with the
screen on for over a week without any problems).
4. No boot up time.

> Now a WLAN enabled i-Paq type device that is useable as a glorified
> remote sitting on a cradle as you enter the room seems a far more
> sensible idea and allows a whole lot more to be done, or a
dedicated
> wall panel designed for the job seems a better bet, albeit a lot
> more expensive. However, I more or less do this by having
> strategically placed Prontos and an IR distribution system in
place,
> again not the cheapest option but it does work, is flexible and is
> as expandable as I need it to be.

I actually see the wall mounted devices being more useful for
visitors. A remote control is very intuitive for stuff like the TV,
but people (at the moment) don't expect it to control other things.
Now a wall mounted 'reasonable size' screen that is located next to
(or in place of) the light switch and 'openly advertises' what it can
do, that could be much more intuitive.

If I can ever afford an iPAQ then I will almost certainly use that as
a remote control myself, but the wall mounted ePODs will be good for
others.

> IMO, a web browser without a "proper" keyboard is as much use as
> wooden tits on a brass bull...i.e.: not a lot of use! So much so
> that I am seriously considering floggong a couple of Fuji's as I
> find I cannot use them without a proper keyboard. If I were to use
> them as simple dumb keypads would that not be a waste, I could, but
> should I?

I agree that none of these devices are really ideal for 'serious
browsing' and certainly not for stuff like IRC and MSN because of the
problems with the lack of a keyboard. However I have numerous PCs
throughout the house for web browsing, the wall mounted units will
primarily be focussed on intranet pages specifically designed to be
used without keyboard or mouse. There may be some buttons to jump out
to specific sites for weather reports, news headlines etc, but
nothing that requires entering text.

> Sometimes it is good to do things "because I can" but in this case
> see no point in what is trying to be achieved, nor can I see any
> tangible benefit in doing so when there are better options
available
> if you look about and use a little imagination, much of it with
> products that most of us have knocking about!

Well I have had the ePODs 'knocking about' for 18 months now ;-)

> Unless....
>
> You can afford to do audio into each zone that has a controller,
> temperature management, AV control and have the web available all
on
> a pad. But, the point being that I want to lay in my bed or sit in
> my big comfy chair and do that and not go near a wall :)

Certainly I want to do audio into most of the rooms and probably all
with a controller and maybe video and other stuff to. The wall pads
will then really be useful as they will allow tracks to be browsed or
even films to be selected in a very use friendly way. But again I
would agree that for my personal use, a small hand held device is
preferable for the majority of the time.

> So the question is: How clever does a wall mounted device *really*
> have to be?

For my purposes the wall mounted device needs to have a very
responsive touch screen (another thing I don't like about the Fuji
and Palm devices), a browser capable of 256 colours and javascript, a
wired network connection (possibly a wireless option) and the ability
to easily remove the device and locate it in another room.

Regards

Graham

P.S. I am planning to make the ePOD picture frame into a 'docking
cradle' so that the ePOD can be easily removed and used free hand
(possinly with wireless network on some) then returned to the wall
for charging and guest use.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor