RE: KAT5

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: KAT5
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 23:25:04 +0100

Stuart,

Maybe I can help you out a bit here ...

Currently the KAT5 units are available as sender and receiver sets, one
sender can service multiple receivers. The KAT5 switcher is still being
developed by Keith (I hassle him pretty much daily about this) as is the IR
return. It has been muted that the switcher will be ready around Xmas and
we're all waiting with bated breath. (Actually Keith and I have been
discussing some of the techy requirements for the switcher this weekend so
it is most definitely not vapour ware!)

The idea behind the switcher is that you can route multiple sources into it
and send those sources to as many destinations that you need. The
"receiver"
ends that are installed in each room will have IR reception capability
which
routes IR control back to the source component only (not to all components
so control is a breeze) the switcher will also take its control from the IR
return path too so it can be controlled remotely.

Keith is our little guru "buddah" ... *VERY* approachable and
very happy to
discus what you need and how is best to implement distribution systems. I
use a couple of pairs of his KAT5s to route signals from my 300 DVD changer
up to the main bedroom and also to send component video (via a set of KAT5s
which he custom built for me) between my DVD player and my CRT projector.
Ultimately I want to pipe the 300 DVD changer and Digital Satellite from my
AV room (which is to be located in the garage) to the living room / 3
bedrooms / computer room and possibly the attic.

If you need any other help then please feel free to give me a shout.