Re: Node zero in the loft

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 02:24:27 +0100, you wrote:

>I've been running a couple of PCs (Linux router and mp3
"jukebox") in the
>loft for over a year without any noticeable problems.
>
>I have had an electronic thermometer up there too, which indicates that
th=
>temperature hasn't been outside of 0-30 degrees C.

That's good news, although now I've "upgraded" the insulation in
my loft
it's been distinctly chilly up there recently.  I'll have to wait to see
what the summer temperature's like, but 30 degrees doesn't sound too
hard for the average PC to cope with.

>I guess the dust may be clogging up the fans gradually - but it's a
chance
>I'm prepared to take...

Maybe an annual shut-down and clean out with the hoover is all that's
needed?  I'm going to have a look for cases with dust filters and will
probably use them if they're not too expensive.  Either that or some
sort of cabinet with filtration, which is big enough to take a couple of
PC's and a network switch.

Thanks for the info,

David P.

--=20
David_Paterson =3D david.paterson@xxxxxxx =A6 david.paterson@vissci.=
com;

Senior R & D programmer    There are three kinds of people in the world
-
Visual Sciences Ltd.        those who can count, and those who can't...