RE: Node zero in the loft

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Node zero in the loft
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <markh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:32:26 +0100

I was wondering the same things actually. I know in the summer my loft gets
pretty warm.

Last year birds managed to find their way in and nest and the result was a
lot of bird s**t and being attacked whenever I went up there. Never found
out where they got in... if rain can't how the f**k do birds do it!?

Anyway I digress... the biggest problems I forsee are from the extremes of
temperature... freezing in winter (boiler is in there with a froststat and
it often turns on and off all night when it gets really cold) and too hot
in
summer (heat rising and the outside temperature being too high for
"draft
cooling").

Dust does not seem to be much of a problem in my loft. I think dust is only
a problem with movement and with the loft being pretty static other than
the
standard air circulation maybe this explains the lack of dust or maybe
glass
fibre insulation attracts and traps it. Whatever the reason it does not
seem
to be a huge problem especially when compared to my office at work and at
home which require regular dusting. However, since electrical equipment
does
seem to suck up as much dust as it can, it is probably worth considering
for
a loft installation of a PC and similar equipment.

Although it would aid cooling I would prefer not to leave the case off for
loft PC to avoid excessive dust on circuit boards. I guess this means
*lots*
of fans in the system but compared to the hassle of potential problems with
a Node 0 PC I guess the expense would be worth it.

There is one guy I am aware of who does house HAL in the loft:

http://www.bdlbbs.demon.co.uk/

AFAIK he is not (unfortunately) a list member. From what I remember from
his
site, there was no mention of problems from the loft installation but other
than a picture and stating that it was situated there, there was no real
discussion of possible problems.

My first task is to get power etc up there so a loft based PC is a while
off
for me.

Mark.