Re: Node zero in the loft

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:32:26 +0100, you wrote:

>I was wondering the same things actually. I know in the summer my loft
get=
>pretty warm.

I've only just moved in so I'll have to wait until summer to see how hot
it gets, but temperature extremes was one of my worries.

>Last year birds managed to find their way in and nest and the result
was a
>lot of bird s**t and being attacked whenever I went up there. Never
found
>out where they got in... if rain can't how the f**k do birds do it!?

I had this problem in my last but one place, and they were getting in
under the eaves.  It had a bit of an odd design (at least one I hadn't
seen before) with a gap deliberately left all the way along, but covered
with wire mesh.  The mesh had somehow gotten damaged at one place and
they snuck in through the hole.

>Dust does not seem to be much of a problem in my loft. I think dust is
onl=
>a problem with movement and with the loft being pretty static other
than t=
he
>standard air circulation maybe this explains the lack of dust or maybe
gla=
ss
>fibre insulation attracts and traps it.

My new place is about 30 years old, and has quite a lot of
"ventilation"
in the loft - not all of it deliberate :-)  I expect there will be quite
a lot of air currents, although I've not been up when it's been really
windy, and any dust will probably get moved around quite a lot.

>Although it would aid cooling I would prefer not to leave the case off
for=
>loft PC to avoid excessive dust on circuit boards. I guess this means
*lot=
s*
>of fans in the system but compared to the hassle of potential problems
wit=
>a Node 0 PC I guess the expense would be worth it.

I usually build all my own PC's, so I can always add a few extra fans,
although I agree with the other postings that it's better to leave the
case closed to help with air circulation.  I'm thinking about building
or buying, depending on what's available, some sort of cabinet with
additional cooling and filtration.

>There is one guy I am aware of who does house HAL in the loft:
>
>http://www.bdlbbs.demon.co.uk/

Quite an interesting site - thanks for the link.

>My first task is to get power etc up there so a loft based PC is a
while o=
ff
>for me.

All the power for lights and sockets seems to be routed through the
loft, so it shouldn't be any problem adding a spur to it.

Thanks for the info,

David P.

--=20
David_Paterson =3D david.paterson@xxxxxxx =A6 david.paterson@vissci.=
com;

Senior R & D programmer    There are three kinds of people in the world
-
Visual Sciences Ltd.        those who can count, and those who can't...