RE: BBC MIcro (Was: Creative Labs 6 Gig MP3 Player)

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: BBC MIcro (Was: Creative Labs 6 Gig MP3 Player)
  • From: Keith Doxey <ukha.diyha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:53:48 +0100

Nothing wrong with BBC Micros.

The original Video Switcher that I built in 1995 is controlled by a BBC
Micro. It is in daily use in a Fun Pub (http://www.longbar.co.uk).

It has NEVER crashed.

It boots its program from 5 1/4" 40 track floppy drive and runs an
auto
sequence unless manually overridden. At closing time the power is turned
off. Non of this "Please wait whilst you computer shuts down.

Power up  is a case of Mains On.
BERRRR BEEP (Computer booted in 2 seconds)
Whrrr Click Click Chugg Chugg
Program running in less than 10 seconds

The ONLY failure in 6 years was the day it failed to boot. CAUSE : someone
knocked the eject lever on the floppy drive so it could load the disk,
closed the eject lever and it ran the program.

I have 6 of them just laying around including a 6502 Second Processor, and
may of use them for some HA tasks.

I always wanted an Archemedies but didnt get round to buying one. At the
time I could have bought an Archemedies and a PCB Design Program for less
than the cost of the software for a PC. That was late 1980's. Then PC
prices plumetted for Hardware and software and I ended up buying my first
PC in 1995.

Keith