Re: Comfort an Homevision inputs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Comfort an Homevision inputs
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <tivo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:47:19 +0100

Title: Re: [ukha_d] Comfort an Homevision inputs
Hi Eamon,

   I use Comfort and Homevision ( & ACE ) and a couple of others (Homeseer / ECS) in this scenario. In fact I also have another separate 'professionally maintained' Alarm system as well. Because of that I have had to explore all the things you are asking here. I won't duplicate all the other detail provided except to say the following:

   I encourage you to use a UCM with Comfort. You might find that you can't do everything you want here as the UCM is still evolving but it provides for the majority of functions. If you have a spare PC or space on an existing one then I would recommend adding ACE (or CWI) to provide a workhorse behind it all. Ace integrates really well with HomeVision.

   As Andrew said it is simply an issue of current drawn as to whether you can run all these sensors off Comforts inbuilt psu.

   I would encourage you to use the end of wire resistors for added security - particularly if this is a main alarm system (not in my case). If you do this however there is no way you should common the inputs to Comfort and HV - in fact I would STRONGLY advise against this even if you abandon the EOL resistors - it is prone to all sorts of reliability and interaction issues and may not even work. If you really must do this I would suggest putting a small 2 pole c/o relay on each PIR and hence provide two separate isolated outputs.

   I connect my 'professional' sytem to the rest via HV and ACE - it is a maintained system so I can't get at everything I want so I have some relay outputs on it that trigger on desired events and I connect these to the port inputs on HV ( or Comfort as you wish). I also take serial data (the alarm reporting data that is meant for a printer) and feed that into ACE (or HV), parse it a bit to get what I want and that's about it.

   Stay away from X10 as any 'message passing' format as Paul said it is too slow and unreliable.

   Lastly my experience with any lighting switching via a PIR on an alarm system used for occupancy detection is that delays are introduced by the alarm detection, reporting, parsing and then X10 activation and that these are significant - making the effect poor (4 secs in my case). I now use sensors that directly trigger a DIN X10 module (via HV) to provide the ON switching and use X10 for off and occupancy 'clevers'.
   One of the difficulties with the OFF bit is detecting 'unoccupied' (eg lying immobile on a sofa, usually with beer cans on floor)- the BIK thread running at the moment provides one solution, clever 'in / out counting provides another, long PIR time delays the easiest but least effective. The only disadvantage of the DIN module trigger is that you cant do the rapid OFF to full on fade that provides greater 'wow' when you enter a room.

   Kevin