RE: Homemade Radiator (Was: Swish @ B&Q)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Homemade Radiator (Was: Swish @ B&Q)
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:45:15 +0100

I'm all for innovation keith but seriously look at the commercially
available radiators ... the long panel radiators have fins bonded to the
back and really can belt out some heat if there's a boiler big enough
powering them.

My living room is 26' x 14' and in there there are two small(ish) double
radiators - one is about 1200mm long and the other is about 800mm (I'm
guesstimating as I don't have a tape measure handy) ... there should be a
third but it was removed by a previous owner. We also have a large open
staircase leading off the room and an unheated kitchen. Those two radiators
do a damn good job of heating that room and one of them is by the large
(full width almost) windows / patio door. That window is not double glazed
at all. The heating system is a microbore one so the flow rate can't be
huge
but the boiler is pretty good (although old) and the room has been holding
nice steady 21 - 22.5 deg C since about 7pm ... given that I only realised
the boiler had gone out during a brief power cut this afternoon at about
6pm
then I reckon it wasn't bad for it to raise the temperature in the living
room to that level *plus* the rest of the house *and* heat the water tank
(which was stone cold after the washing machine / hosing down kids and
washing up etc.) in an hour.

I really do admire you for the guts to have a go yourself but urge you to
consider the more mainstream alternatives...

Phil