RE: Comfort an Homevision inputs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Comfort an Homevision inputs
  • From: "Dan Hoehnen" <dhoehnen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:43:47 -0500

I have HV and Comfort in my house and will address at least part of the
power supply issue.  One of the main design criteria for my system is that
all systems should be independent.  That way, if one is not operational,
all
other systems still function normally.  Thus, I bought a separate 12 volt
power supply that is used for all 12 volt devices that are not security
system related (indoor PIR's, relays, etc.).  Thus, the status of Comfort
will not affect the indoor PIR's going to HV, for example.

Since I am a software developer, I am constantly changing my hardware
around
and may be without a system for a day or two.  Your needs may vary,
however.

The EOL resistor is usually not needed, but used to make a zone more
secure.
With it, the security system is able to detect both a short and an open in
the circuit.  This makes detecting faults better and it is harder for a
would-be intruder to bypass a sensor with a piece of wire.  Personally, I
don't use them on my indoor PIR's used for non-security applications.

There is a project just getting started to provide a new program for
programming Comfort.  It should allow for If/Then type programming with
English commands instead of numbers, so will be much easier to setup a
Comfort system once it is available.  Due to be a 4 month development
project if I remember right.

Dan