Re: Retrofitting DIN rail modules for lighting

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Retrofitting DIN rail modules for lighting
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 20:55:20 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark Kaye" <mark@m...> wrote:
> Easy question :)  How easy would this be?  Assuming a new build
house
> (traditional build not timber frame).  Am I going to need to run a
lot of
> wiring back to a Consumer Unit, etc?  Is there anywhere I can look
to see
> what's involved in this?

It is possible to install the DIN rails locally to each light
depending on the method you choose for you lighting but this may make
the DIN modules inaccessible for fuse replacements and address
changes (under floorboards etc).

I was quite lucky in my house since the lighting circuits all home
run to a junction box so I merely ran additional cable from this
junction box to consumer units in my Node zero a couple metres away
for my DIN modules. Got the whole house converted in around one
day :) Given the nature of my wiring I did consider removing the
junction box completely and home running all original cables to the
consumer units but wanted to be able to lift the whole DIN module
support out if/when I move so restoring the house to the original
wiring seemed easier by leaving the original system as intact as
possible. I may at a later date rewire the lighting to home run to my
node zero now that I have identified the position of all wiring and
the methods used in my house.

If I was building from scratch I would definitely home run all
lighting cable to one or more consumer units even if not immediately
installing DIN modules. Comfort have a retro fitting diagram
demonstrating this system on their web site.

HTH.

Mark.