X10 and Energy Saver Bulbs

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: X10 and Energy Saver Bulbs
  • From: Matthew J Robinson <mjrobinson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:10:47 +0100

Hi all,
Having just moved house I've decided to take the step into home automation.
figured that the first thing should be to have a few lights switch on and
off.

So off I trot to www.letsautomate.com and I start reading up on the various
bits I need. I've worked out that I need the motion sensor and the rf to
X10
thingy and then something to switch the lights.

Now I have made quite an investment in a load of energy saver bulbs and I
want
to carry on using these. I know that I can't use the X10 light switches
with
these as they do dimming and that will cause untold mischief. So I'm
looking
at the appliance switches. These state that an earth lead is required. What
want to know is. Is this really needed or is it just required when the
appliance has an earth? Or can I modify the light switches to not do
dimming?

I'm also about to order the Comfort alarm system with X10 gubbins. Does
anyone
think that I shouldn't - as far as I can tell it seems the best one.

Kind regards

Matthew