RE: X10 and Energy Saver Bulbs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10 and Energy Saver Bulbs
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 17:56:31 +0100

    Mathew,

        It's the extra neutral wire that is required for the appliance switches that is usually the problem (as it is not present in normal light switch wiring - and yes, it is necessary as the appliance switch is a heavy duty relay switching device.

    Re Comfort - it is certainly one of the best supported alarm systems around in terms of the integration with home automation eg telephone, IR and X10 etc. It is also one of the only systems that can act as a HA standalone controller, although it can be 'fiddly' to set up. There are a couple of other systems but they are rather sparse in terms of adoption so generally if you want some reassurance and help from others then Comfort is a good choice. The designers and importers of Comfort are also very quick and eager to help through the mailing lists.
    You can do limited HA control and monitoring with most systems that provide programmable inputs and outputs however. There are two other really powerful features of Comfort. Firstly the system is almost completely re programmable in terms of how and what it does - it's not the easiest thing in the world to master but it is very flexible (some would say too flexible). The other big plus is the functionality through ACE / Comfort Web Interface via the UCM. If you are going to move into a PC based system this is  a very capable and flexible system.
    My only ongoing criticism of Comfort is that it is a voice prompted system. All the menu options and setting feedback is via a synthesised voice. Some people really like this , some don't. I would have liked the option to have an LCD style traditional keypad as well. Not too easy to slip in and out unnoticed. I gather this may be an option in times to come but not at the moment.
    I use two 'linked' alarm systems - one a more traditional approach and Comfort to allow me to implement the whims of my HA imagination - I'm pleased with both.

    Kevin