From: "Nigel Orr" <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 1:37 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Supplier of CAT5 cable

At 13:06 07/09/00 +0100, you wrote:
>You don't really need a special tool, I just use a small screwdriver
with a
>thin blade...

[fx: goes off to phone the "Royal Society for the Prevention of
Improper
Termination of Insulation Displacement Terminals"]  - I'm glad you
were
joking Stuart!

If you _really_ are only doing a few, and can't afford the right tool
(which costs about £13 if it's the '2A' one- personally I'd spend some cash
on the tool and save certain grief later), then a credit card with a small
notch cut out of it can do the trick nicely for a few terminations.

Preferably an expired card, or one that you only use to buy by phone or
internet
:-)

The right tool, however, will also snip the wire to length, which is quite
a timesaver and very neat!  As a 'rule of thumb' If you're spending £100 on
cable and connectors, or you might in future, it's worth getting the proper
tool or making friends with someone who has one (you aren't near Newcastle,
I presume, or I'd lend you mine for a day...).

>Yes, you do really need a special crimp tool, and they can be
expensive,

Is the RJ45 one a different one from the 'normal' punchdown tool?

Just out of interest Stuart, how did you terminate the wires you mentioned
earlier, the ones that had a bad joint- was that the snipe-nose-pliers job
you mentioned or were they done with the right tool??? :-] .  Was it RJ45
sockets, phone connections, krone strips?  I only ask as I would have
thought that stranded would be less reliable, more likely to break than
connect.

Nigel