RE: RIP - Maplin

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: RIP - Maplin
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:50:08 +0100

Hi Nigel,

STOCK LEVELS-Discontinuation..
> one I've been buying- so they've sold more than single
> figures to _me_ _alone_ in the last year!)

Like I said, I cant believe WE were the only people in the UK who wanted IR
reciever modules when quite a few magazine projects over the last couple of
years have used them.

NOT IN SHOP-Postal Charges..
> I presume shops can still get it in free of charge, rather
> than posting it
> (please tell me they aren't starting to charge the customer
> for that too?)

That doesnt help when you have to drive a 50 mile round trip for the
nearest
shop.
I always used the shop as a last minute purchase option for the reasons you
gave. If I knew that I would need something on Saturday I would order it
Thurs/Fri. But if I got a call on Friday night and urgently needed a part
for the Saturday I would drive to Norwich to get it. More often than not
they didnt have it, in which case they "ordered" it to be sent to
me. Order
would get processed some time on Monday and if I was lucky I would get it
by
Tuesday.

I now try to keep a stock of EVERYTHING I commonly use although depending
on
the item I limit what I hold. I used to keep speed control faders for
Technics SL1210's in stock but they were £20 TRADE and since most DJ's in
Great Yarmouth now use Denon Twin CD players I dont have need to replace
many.

I KNOW the above paragraph sounds a bit like a Maplin statement, but I have
about 5 customers I maintain equipment for, Maplin have (or should that be
HAD) millions of customers. [That estimate based on the fact that I have 2
customer numbers, one <11000 and the other >3000000]

As you said, They are now the LAST option for buying components.

Keith

No bidding, no
guesswork.  Just
great fares at Hotwire.