Re: Digibox choice / UHF di stribution

Ive found that if I pass the antenna signal thru multiple devices it
gets real bad real quick

It seems that each modulator has a different amount of RF gain applied
to the input, and a different output level. This means that after going
thru 2 VCR's and a sky digital reciever (Not the same as the ones you
get in the UK) I had my local channels strength up at 80something dB/uv
and the second VCR down at 60 something.

In the end I split it after the sat reciever into th 2 vcr's, the tv and
the FM input of the stereo, and toof the output of the vcr's to
different rooms. There was no need to have the UHF out of the VCR's
connected to the lounge TV as that's done via AV leads, so the kitchen
can get one VCR and the bedroom gets the other one (Goes thru a 75-300
ohm balun then some cat 5 and then back again at the other end)

Without a strength meter I would have been tearing my hair out for ages
figuring out why it wasnt working.

To make matters worse, my zenith satillite reciever would output on both
the channel that was selected in the menu, and a couple of others
thruout the band. Apparantly this happens with very very cheap tunable
modulators.

paul gordon wrote:

> >Have you seen the in-line UHF modulators that Maplin do?
> >I know you have UHF feeds, but perhaps you could use composite
video
> >from some sources?
> >They do 3 modulators, one normal and one wide band.  The latter
allows
> >you to select a channel from 21 to 69 (from memory).
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >Chris Williams
> >

> Thanks, I'll give them a look - when I said I have UHF feeds, that's
only at
> the point that I pass it into the UHF amplifier, because it obviously
has to
> be. In actual fact my door camera (for example) provides a composite
signal
> on a moulded SCART plug, but I've taken this back to a VCR in the Node
0
> location, and I'm using the VCR as a glorified modulator (I just
happen to
> have loads of old VCR's lying around!), Although in this instance I
will
> make use of the VCR as well by using Comfort's IR cloner to record 30
> seconds of video every time the porch PIR is activated.
>
> The VCR in question though, does NOT have a full range tuner, (I think
it
> has a range of 21 - 43 or thereabouts), so it's broadcasting on
channel 32
> (ish - can't remember exactly), and it's now getting to be a bit of a
> juggling act to try to get all these UHF sources on the same wire
without
> co-channel interference...
>
> Cheers.
>
> Paul G.

> For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them
from

> anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to
win a

> digital camera.

> -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ukha_d/?m=1

Was the salesman clueless?  Productopia has the answers.
http://click.egroups.com/1/749/3/_/2065/_/948494851/

-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1