Re: Digibox choice

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Digibox choice
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 21:37:33 GMT

I think it might have been called The "Rabbit" - I seem to
remember a device
by this name being advertised a few years ago, but haven't heard of this
for
ages...

However, when I actually thought about what I really needed, it basically
came down to just the analogue and/or digital satellite boxes: - I have a
TV
in the bedroom (obviously), - so I can select all terrestrial channels
directly from there, I also have a VCR in the bedroom, and a CD Player, and
a tuner, and a Pro-Logic Amp. So I really don't need to be able to control
the ones in the living room from the bedroom, as I will always use the
local
units. That only leaves the DVD and the Minidisk that I can't control from
the bedroom, and to be perfectly honest, I think I prefer not to use the
DVD
player remotely - If I'm going to watch something on DVD, it means I want a
proper home cinema experience, so I am going to want to be sitting in the
"sweet spot" in the living room, with the big 43" screen and
the Dolby
Digital sound... I really don't want to do the format a disservice by
modulating the video and audio to UHF, squirting it over a 30-foot cable,
and watching it in a room which is singularly NOT designed for optimum AV
performance... (Minidisk I don't care about in the bedroom!). In future I
will want to add access to my MP3 jukebox from the bedroom as well, bit I
will do this by adding a PC in the bedroom (using the TV as a display),
connected to the local bedroom amp, and the 100MB ethernet - then I can
have
independant MP3 "zones" if you like, as all I will be moving
about is
digital data over the ethernet...

Add to the above, the fact there is only me & the wife in the house,
and we
only ever use the living room or the bedroom for watching/listening (well,
sometimes the kitchen, but only for watching breakfast TV!), and it
basically boils down to the fact that for £35 we have all the remote
operation we need for audio-visual stuff...

I shall still want to add IR control to the automation system of course, so
that Comfort can turn on the TV, select channels etc.. and to be able to do
lighting scenes and various macros etc.. but for manual remote control of
the living-room based kit from the bedroom, this gives us all we need..

- Apply the "KISS" principle: (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)

Regards.

Paul G.

>From: Williams Christopher C <CCWILLIAMS@xxxxxxx>
>To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Digibox choice
>Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:10:10 -0000
>

>I have just been looking at this site (www.tvlink.co.uk), very
>interesting.
>
>You mentioned the need for a direct coax connection, they do a device
>bypass other manufacturers amps.
>
>There is another device on the market that works the same way, i.e.
>sending IR info back down the coax, but it has a separate box at the
>source end with IR emitters on flying leads.  This way you can control
>the VCR and DVD as well as the Digibox, from any room with a TV point.
>Again you need to bypass the amp or use their amp/splitter.  Can't
>remember the name for life of me.  I know Maplin do it but I can't find
>it on their web page.  Problem is it is expensive about £100 is with 2
>IR mice I think?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Chris Williams

information
> > channel)
> >
> > As it happened, before I had the installer in, I bought a copy of
> > "What
> > Satellite" and noticed it advertised in there quite a lot,
including
> > an ad
> > for my local Hi-Fi supplier, so I just went up to the shop and
bought
> > one.... - You can get them by mail order off the pages of the
> > aforementioned
> > mag, OR, I'm now led to understand that Sky will both supply and
fit
> > them,
> > if you have it done at the same time as your digibox
installation.
> > (too late
> > if you've already had your box installed! they won't send someone
out
> > just
> > to install a TV Link.) - I didn't realize that last point until
long
> > after
> > my installation, so I'll be fitting it myself this weekend...
> >
> > You can also order it direct from the manufacturers website:
> >
> > www.tvlink.co.uk
> >
> > Bear in mind that the IR control signals require a direct
unbroken
> > coax link
> > back to UHF-Out-2 on the digibox, with no splitters or UHF
amplifiers
> > in the
> > path, (especialy the amplifiers), as these alledgedly filter out
the
> > IR
> > signal. If you must have a distribution amplifier in the signal
path,
> > then
> > you must get one from the same manufacturer (Global
Communications)
> > which
> > have been designed not to block the IR signal data. 2, 4, and
7-way
> > amps are
> > also available off the website.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Paul G.
> >

> > >From: "Alex Durkin" <alexpd@xxxxxxx>
> > >To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
> > >Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Digibox choice
> > >Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:44:03 -0000
> > >

> > >Hi there,
> > >
> > >How did you get the Sky TV Link? I have not come across this.
> > >
> > >Regards
> > >
> > >Alex

artifacting. (but I
> > don't

master bedroom
> > TV
> > >via
> > UHF
> > the
control back to the
> > >digibox
> > I have
> > cable
so, for a mere £35
> > pounds I
> > >get
receiver, and the connector
> > block
trouble-free
> > remote

least....

<jtankard@xxxxxxx>

discrete IR
> > codes for
> > >it
control). I would
> > strongly
Automation" consider
> > carefully the
purchase of any
> > product.

about 8 years,
> > cost
unable to locate
> > the
set-up.

please let me
> > know.

which Sky Digiboxes
> > are
> > >any

> > ----
biggest directory
> > answer
> > >your

> > ---
and, access
> > them
> > >from
> > win a

> > ---
> > >For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and,
access them
> > from
> > >anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a
chance to
> > win a
> > >digital camera.
> > >http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/2065/_/948133225/
> > >
> > >-- 20 megs of disk space in your group's Document Vault
> > >-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ukha_d/?m=1

> > --
> > For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access
them
> > from
> >
> > anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance
> > win a
> >
> > digital camera.
> >
> > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/
> > http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

>--
>The Information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent
correspondence
>is private and is intended solely for the intended recipient(s).
>For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying,
distribution,
>or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such
information
>is
>prohibited and may be unlawful.

>For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them
from
>anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win
>digital camera.
>
>eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/
>http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications

For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from

anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win a

digital camera.
http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/2065/_/948404964/

-- Create a poll/survey for your group!