Re: Digibox choice

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Digibox choice
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:53:18 GMT

You're right, they've hardly gone out of the way to advertise it!!
(but typically, now that I've got one, I have spotted a few carefully
hidden
ad's in some of the Sky literature, and even on the Sky information
channel)

As it happened, before I had the installer in, I bought a copy of
"What
Satellite" and noticed it advertised in there quite a lot, including
an ad
for my local Hi-Fi supplier, so I just went up to the shop and bought
one.... - You can get them by mail order off the pages of the
aforementioned
mag, OR, I'm now led to understand that Sky will both supply and fit them,
if you have it done at the same time as your digibox installation. (too
late
if you've already had your box installed! they won't send someone out just
to install a TV Link.) - I didn't realize that last point until long after
my installation, so I'll be fitting it myself this weekend...

You can also order it direct from the manufacturers website:

www.tvlink.co.uk

Bear in mind that the IR control signals require a direct unbroken coax
link
back to UHF-Out-2 on the digibox, with no splitters or UHF amplifiers in
the
path, (especialy the amplifiers), as these alledgedly filter out the IR
signal. If you must have a distribution amplifier in the signal path, then
you must get one from the same manufacturer (Global Communications) which
have been designed not to block the IR signal data. 2, 4, and 7-way amps
are
also available off the website.

Regards.

Paul G.

>From: "Alex Durkin" <alexpd@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Digibox choice
>Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:44:03 -0000
>

>Hi there,
>
>How did you get the Sky TV Link? I have not come across this.
>
>Regards
>
>Alex

I don't
> >watch a lot of sports!)
> >
> >I've also just purchased the Sky TV-Link to feed the master
bedroom TV
>via
> >UHF (yes I know I could just plug the UHF out into my whole-house
UHF
> >distribution cabling, which in fact is exactly what I will do with
the
> >UHF-OUT "1" on the digibox), but this sends IR control
back to the
>digibox
> >as well from the remote location, but rather than use radio (which
I have
> >had several bad experiences with), it sends it back down the coax
cable
> >straight into the digibox's UHF "2" socket.. so, for a
mere £35 pounds I
>get
> >a 2nd Sky digital remote, an IR "mouse" receiver, and
the connector block
> >plug it into the coax cable. And I get guaranteed trouble-free
remote
> >control from the bedroom!! (at last!)
> >
> >It'll satisfy my requirements for the short-term at least....
> >
> >Paul G.
> >

> >>From: "Dr John Tankard" <jtankard@xxxxxxx>
> >>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
> >>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Digibox choice
> >>Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:50:47 -0000
> >>

> >>Mine is a Grundig, and it works well, I also have discrete IR
codes for
>it
> >>(or at least commands which allow discrete IR control). I
would strongly
> >>recommend that if you are "into Home Automation"
consider carefully the
> >>availability of discrete codes before making a purchase of any
product.

> >>I have a Technics HiFi system which I have had for about 8
years, cost
> >>about
> >>£1,000 and I have (despite a lot of effort) been unable to
locate the
> >>discrete codes for it forming a weak link in my set-up.
> >>
> >>John
> >>jtankard@xxxxxxx
> >>
> >>PS if anyone has the discrete codes I need (STX902L) please
let me know.

> >>Building Links Page http://www.tankard.com/links.htm
> >>Extra links to hotlinks@xxxxxxx please

Digiboxes are
>any

> >>FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! XpertSite is the biggest
directory
> >>of Experts on the Web. For a REAL PERSON who will be happy to
answer
>your
> >>questions!
> >>http://click.egroups.com/1/472/3/_/2065/_/947505798/
> >>
> >>-- Check out your group's private Chat room
> >>-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1

> >For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access
them
>from
> >anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance
to win a
> >digital camera.
> >
> >-- Easily schedule meetings and events using the group calendar!
> >-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ukha_d&m=1

>For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them
from
>anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win
>digital camera.

>-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ukha_d/?m=1

For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from

anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win a

digital camera.
http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/2065/_/948192810/

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/