Re: [OT]Proxy Software with multiple dialup numbers

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT]Proxy Software with multiple dialup numbers
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 01:27:58 +0000 (GMT)

> Please tell me you're joking! Gateway scanners may be good, but
they're

I am not.

> not infallible and they offer zero protection to a machine if a virus
> gets through. The only safe machine is a virus protected machine
behind

That is the same level of protection offered by an anti-virus software
that is well past its sell-by date. The fact is users and even some
computer professionals don't update their AV software often enough.
Because the update or upgrade process is not always straightforward, the
few attempts that they do usually end up with a half-updated AV
installation rendering the PC practically useless as the memory resident
AV software that is partially functional cause GPLs and other unusual
errors. What tends to happen afterward is that the user, who is by now fed
up with the constant crashes and slowness, simply uninstall all the AV
stuff and leave the PC wide open for all forms of attack.

> It's less hassle to update a virus checker every couple of weeks than
it
> is to have to reconstruct valuable data. And if you don't want to
update

Unfortunately, the typical computer user don't think that way.

> similar] that checks for an updated version in a preset shared
directory
> on a server, and runs one if it exists.

There are many ways to keep things up-to-date but all of them require
constant attention by someone somewhere. Another problem with these
"automatic" updates is that it depends on the regular execution
of some
form of startup script. A number of our client's PCs are never switched
off or logged out.

> Sorry for the 'attack' but the number of times I've been on a client
> site with crap all virus protection is unbelievable - the number of

We are not talking about no AV protection at all, just positioning the
verification process at the only entry and exit point of the e-mail
system. With sensible procedures to be followed by everyone, I can't see
what the objection is with this approach.

> those clients that had a serious virus problem was expected - the cost
> to those clients for me to sort the systems and reconstitute data
where
> required was very very high [I don't offer discounts to fools].

Well, there are different levels of damage caused by different types of
virus. I know there are many nasty virus that would scrub the hard disk
clean but most common ones are not much more than a sick joke.
Unfortunately, you can't lecture your client any more than you can lecture
your boss. If they choose to repeatedly ignore your sound advise about
good housekeeping, you still have to be "nice" to them.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.