Re: [OT]Proxy Software with multiple dialup numbers

"K. C. Li" wrote:
> That is the same level of protection offered by an anti-virus software
> that is well past its sell-by date. The fact is users and even some
> computer professionals don't update their AV software often enough.
> Because the update or upgrade process is not always straightforward,
the
> few attempts that they do usually end up with a half-updated AV
> installation rendering the PC practically useless as the memory
resident
> AV software that is partially functional cause GPLs and other unusual
> errors. What tends to happen afterward is that the user, who is by now
fed
> up with the constant crashes and slowness, simply uninstall all the AV
> stuff and leave the PC wide open for all forms of attack.

As my response to Ian Lowe, this partially depends on the AVP you
utilize, and how you utilize.

> > It's less hassle to update a virus checker every couple of weeks
than it
> > is to have to reconstruct valuable data. And if you don't want to
update

> Unfortunately, the typical computer user don't think that way.

I know, but I deal with large multinational companies dedicated IT
support people, and I still experience these problems.

> > similar] that checks for an updated version in a preset shared
directory
> > on a server, and runs one if it exists.
>
> There are many ways to keep things up-to-date but all of them require
> constant attention by someone somewhere. Another problem with these
> "automatic" updates is that it depends on the regular
execution of some
> form of startup script. A number of our client's PCs are never
switched
> off or logged out.

Agreed. Management utilities such as Tivoli allow push through updating
if a script is not run by a set number of hours or days. These can be
programmed independently per machine where special needs exist. [sorry,
remember the size of companies I work for]

> > Sorry for the 'attack' but the number of times I've been on a
client
> > site with crap all virus protection is unbelievable - the number
of

> We are not talking about no AV protection at all, just positioning the
> verification process at the only entry and exit point of the e-mail
> system. With sensible procedures to be followed by everyone, I can't
see
> what the objection is with this approach.

If you're users are unfortunate not to have access to cd or floppies,
then the support staff will indeed have an easier task. Relatively few
companies go to this length of profiling, and even the ones that do
usually have a number of people with a legitimate requirement to have an
unrestricted machine - network is now wide open to attack.

> > those clients that had a serious virus problem was expected - the
cost
> > to those clients for me to sort the systems and reconstitute data
where
> > required was very very high [I don't offer discounts to fools].
>
> Well, there are different levels of damage caused by different types
of
> virus. I know there are many nasty virus that would scrub the hard
disk
> clean but most common ones are not much more than a sick joke.

Indeed, and thankfully I've very rarely encountered malicious viruses on
a corporate network, but if a company has 20,000 machines on an extended
LAN/WAN/MAN scenario across EMEA and the US even a 'joke' virus that
does nothing more than self replicate can cost seven figures to remove -
not a particularly funny joke.

> Unfortunately, you can't lecture your client any more than you can
lecture
> your boss. If they choose to repeatedly ignore your sound advise about
> good housekeeping, you still have to be "nice" to them.

That depends on the client, and the level in the organization you talk
to. The real sting comes when they get the invoice [a reason I probably
shouldn't complain ;-)].

Calum
eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/1/_/2065/_/975721661/