Electrical rewiring for X10

  • To: "UKHA List \(E-mail\)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Electrical rewiring for X10
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:57:57 -0000

Something very strange happened today, my wife actually suggested rewiring
the house ! For those of you that don't know, our house is about 450 years
old and the wiring was put in by a previous occupier about 20 years ago
(some of it may be 30 years old). We do get an awful lot of bulbs blowing,
and it is just about impossible to work out which lights and sockets are on
which circuit. We also have a complete mixture of light switches and
electrical sockets and the majority of the lighting is not earthed so we
are
not supposed to have any metal light fittings (though we do have a few). So
because of all of these problems my wife has suggested I get a quote from
our local electrician for a full rewire. Now my question is, how do I make
the most of this opportunity for X10 ? I assume that for a start I would
want DIN rail X10 modules for controlling all lights, but what about
electrical sockets ? If I am going to use DIN rail appliance modules then
what is common practice, one per double socket or two. Also, I haven't
counted, but I would guess that I would run out of X10 codes if I went for
every socket and every light (we have 14 rooms, 16 if you include garage
and
conservatory). So would I be better off doing all the lights (seems
sensible) and then maybe just one socket in each room, making use of plug
in
modules to expand later on. We don't make much use of plug in lighting
(other than Christmas time) so is there really any point in connecting some
sockets to DIN rail lamp modules (as Mark describes on his site). Are there
any other things I should take into account on the electrical side (I am
already planning my own non-electrical cabling). This will be the one and
only time I get a chance to change the wiring, next year we will be
redecorating the whole house so mess will not be tolerated after that.

Thanks for any suggestions

Graham

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/3/_/2065/_/974648117/