RE: Electrical rewiring for X10

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Electrical rewiring for X10
  • From: "Mark McCall" <mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:54:39 -0000

>electrical sockets ? If I am going to use DIN rail appliance modules
then
>what is common practice, one per double socket or two.

I didn't do any sockets to appliance din rails in the house because I
didn't
think I'd use them.  A year later the only thing I have that really needs
one is a subwoofer in the corner of the AV room.

In several rooms and the halls I did wire 5amp (round pin) sockets back to
din rail dimmers and these are great.  Turn all the table lamps on from one
switch on the wall or remote etc.

>counted, but I would guess that I would run out of X10 codes if
>I went for every socket and every light (we have 14 rooms, 16 if you
>include garage and conservatory).

I doubt you'll run out...even with 16 rooms X10 has 256 possible codes so
you'd still be able to have 16 codes per room!!

> We don't make much use of plug in lighting
>(other than Christmas time) so is there really any point in
>connecting some sockets to DIN rail lamp modules (as Mark describes on
his site).

Like I say, consider the 5amp sockets for lighting (this would allow you to
control your Christmas tree this way too) and forget about the appliance
sockets.

Also of interest - I have a prototype X10 socket from Lets Automate that's
due sometime next year.  This will allow you to swap out your existing
double socket for an X10 single with integrated electronics (no nasty lump
on the wall).

>any other things I should take into account on the electrical side (I
am
>already planning my own non-electrical cabling). This will be the one
and
>only time I get a chance to change the wiring, next year we will be
>redecorating the whole house so mess will not be tolerated after that.

Look here if you haven't already...

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/wiring/index.html
http://ha.orrs.net/

M.