RE: ISDN vs ADSL

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: ISDN vs ADSL
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:44:36 GMT

Some extra comments:

>I used to run ISDN (true ISDN, not HH) with an ISDN router. This used
>cost me an absolute fortune because the router would keep dialling up
when
>didn't want it to, then drop the connection 5 minutes later because I
>wasn't
>using it.

I avoid this by signing up to one of those surftime packages for £8/month
which gives me 0800 number access from 18:00 - midnight weekdays, and all
weekend. I then configure my autodial router (in my case MS Proxy server)
with ONLY that 0800 number. Outside of the times when the 0800 number is
available, my proxy can try to connect until it's blue in the face - the
number just won't answer. Thus I have JNO worries about undesired
connections costing me money. Also, Proxy server allows me to define a
schedule when connections are allowed, which I also set to the same
schedule
that the number is available, so I have two methods by which to excercise
control over the autodial.

In practice, I find the time limitations really not a big problem. I do
occasionally work from home during the week, and obviously at those times I
can't connect to the ISP on the 0800 number. However, - when I'm working
from home, I wouldn't want to anyway, as I need to be connected to my
office
RAS server to be able to access the LAN and mail services at work, so I
dial
this over ISDN, and get dial-back from the office, so again this costs me
nothing, to be online all day at 64K. With ADSL I would not be able to do
this, I'd have to use an analogue dial-up instead.

Granted, that at it's best, ADSL is infinitely faster the ISDN, but at
50:1,
if it really takes off, you're rarely going to get it's best... It just
remains to be seen what the true situation will be, because at the moment,
as so few people can get it, the contention has not yet become a factor.
(but it will....)

Paul G.