RE: ISDN vs ADSL

I had DSL installed on Wednesday. I went for one of the NAT Business
options, after my ISP told me I could host servers with it. Now I'm stuck
with it.

The install went like adream, the BT guy was early, and finished inno time
at all.

It flies. It really is the pups nuts. The only problem being no servers.
The NAT doesn't include port forwading by default, and I havn't found a way
to switch it on yet. The tools to do it are on the CD that gets supplied
with the router, which BT havn't passed on to me (Keith, any help here?)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:49:04 "Brown, Andy [Infrastructure]"
wrote:
> I've had BT Openwoe for about four weeks now.  Getting it in was like
> extracting teeth though.  BT cocked up the configuration at the
exchange
> and
> it took them about four weeks to get it sorted.  Lots of two-ing and
> fro-ing
> between BTOW and BT themselves (BTIgnite I think they're called).
>
> Any way - its in now and it flies.  I love it.  I won't go into the
fors
> and
> againsts of ISDN vs ADSL, but I just wanted to let you know that there
is
> way to host a web server.
>
> The USB version is non-NAT so there's nothing stopping you from
hosting a
> web server.  What messes things up is that the IP address allocation
is
> dynamic and changes after two hours of inactivity (or whenever the
> gateways
> get bounced - which seems quite frequent!).
>
> You can get around all this by registering with a dynamic dns hosting
> service found at http://www.dyndns.org. I haven't tried
this yet, but a
> colleague of mine has and it runs well.  As I understand it, a small
> piece
> of client software detects your IP address changes and registers it
with
> dyndns, so any referrals to your domain name will have the latest IP
> address.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

ADSL (from BT
> Openworld). There were several reasons for this, some of which were:
>
> HH gives me 3 seperate phone numbers, which I find useful as I can
keep
> one
> for voice, and one for incoming data/fax calls.
>
> ADSL absolutely does NOT allow a webserver to be hosted at your house
> (the
> consumer version anyway, it might be different with the £100/month
> business
> version?, but who's going to pay that!) - This means that you cannot
put
> your HA system on the web to monitor or control your house from the
> internet.
>
> AFAIK, ALL current ISP's that offer an ADSL service get their service
> from
> BT - I believe that NO ISP's yet have their own DSL hardware in any BT
> Exchanges. In fact BT has only allowed other carriers kit in about 40
> out-of-the-way exchanges if various newsgroups are to be believed.
Local
> loop unbundling is supposed to be completed by Jan 2001, but BT are
(as
> ever) dragging their feet, making excuses, and generally (again, as
ever)

> crippling the development of ANY competition in the telecoms market as
> best
> and for as long as they can. This means the situation is unlikely to
> change
> for some considerable time regarding technical limitations, contention
> ratios, pricing structures and so on. Which is why if you do a
> comparative
> analysis of ADSL offerings, they are all remarkably similar! BT does
not
> offer those ISP's much scope for value-add.
>
> BT will NOT guarantee bandwidth on ADSL, and with a 50:1 contention
ratio
> on
>
> the consumer version, is it "theoretically" possible for the
available
> bandwidth per user to drop to MUCH lower than HH's 64 or 128K. Of
course,
> BT
>
> say this is unlikely to ever happen in practice, and that gives me a
> really
> warm cosy feeling.... NOT!
>
> Although the headline prices are almost the same, at around
> £40-£45/month,
> ADSL did not include any free calls, - currently my HH is £40/month
with
> £15/month free calls, so providing I use those calls, the true price
is
> nearer £25/month. Switching to ADSL (from Openworld) would have lost
me
> this, so the price immediately went up in real terms by £15/month.
(Note
> this was with BT Openworld about a month ago - there are no doubt a
> bewildering array of new "schemes" available from BT
designed to confuse
> you, and make you think you're getting a good ^H^H^H^H better deal.
> (can't
> justifiably use the term "good deal" in the same sentence as
"BT", the
> two
> JUST don't go together!). However, take my word for it, if you work it
> out
> over time, I BET you end up paying almost exactly the same whatever
> "scheme"
>
> you opt for!!
>
> ADSL is still very new - the roll-out has hardly begun, VERY few
people
> have
>
> it yet, and so what will happen when it's more widespread is hard to
say.
> -
> Obviously as more people get it, contention will increase, and
per-user
> speeds will go down. There is also a great deal of debate at the mo
about

> ADSL interfering with FM radio and vide-versa. This problem probably
> hasn't
> even hit its full potential yet...
>
> And with all that, BT STILL expect you to sign up to a 12-month
contract!

> For my money, I've decided to stick with HH until Oftel manages to
grow
> some
>
> balls (not holding my breath!), and shit on BT from a great height and
> force
>
> some "true" cometition into the market. (whatever anyone
says, currently
> there is no competition to BT and they still have their juicy
monopoly).
> I'm
>
> hoping that when this happens, there will be some real choice and
> variation
> in the ADSL offerings, and hopefully I'll be able to get it for less
> money,
> and with the ability to host a webserver at the end of it. (Hopeless
> optimist that I am!!)
>
> BTW I have my HH box in the cellar (node 0). I can get to it quite
> easily,
> but iv'e never had to "reboot" it....
>
> Next, you only need an ISDN TA _OR_ and ISDN router - you don't need
> both. A
>
> TA will either be an internal card or an external box. Most TA's that
> know
>
> of act as serial port devices and will be set up as a COM port device
and

> used just like any other modem. External ones will connect via ONE
> exiting
> COM port on the PC, and thus will be limited to 115K max. An ISDN
router
> will typically (but not always) present an ethernet interface, so
you'd
> need
>
> a network card in the PC to use it, but I imagine there are USB
versions
> available as well?... Many IDSN routers also have a mini-hub built in,
> and
> will give 4 or more RJ45 ethernet ports, Many also provide DHCP and
NAT
> straight out of the box.
> TA's are much cheaper, - some PCI card versions are going for as
little
> as
> £15, external ones can be picked up from about £40. ISDN routers
> typically
> start at about £70-£80 right up to £200-£300 depending on features.
>
> Sharing the connection between many PC's is easy (but is against BT's
> T&C's
> with the consumer ADSL service!) With ADSL they will supply the
hardware
> required, (pretty much always USB based AFAIK) so you don't have any
> choice
> really about what you get (sound familiar?), so you'll probably have
> share the connection from the PC connected to it, be that a Linux
router,
> or
>
> any of the flavours of Windows that have Internet Connection Sharing
> services. With HH, they just supply the connection, you add your own
TA
> or
> ISDN router, which gives you more flexibility, you can do just the
same
> as
> above, or use the router option, which, if it provides NAT will do it
all

> for you.
>
> I'll make it clear that these are purely _my_ opinions, and are based
on
> my
> requirements, which meant that ADSL wasn't right for me (yet). Your
> requirements might be different, and so the limitations I mentioned
might

> not matter to you. (especially if you have no desire to host your own
> webserver at home).
>
> As ever it's horses for courses.
>
> HTH.
>
> Paul G.
>

> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I have a question:
> >We are getting a PC for Christmas and I would like to use the
> >internet etc...
> >Should I get BT HomeHighway or wait for ADSL?
> >Ideally I would like to be able to use the phone at the same time
as
> >the PC.
> >If I go HH should I get a TA or an ISDN router (do I need both?).
> >Eventually I would like to connect several Computers to a house
LAN
> >and have internet access from any.
> >I also intend to get Comfort, whill this work OK with either HH or
> >ADSL?
> >I am hoping to keep the cost down so I thought I would go for BT's
> >Talk'n'Surf Together with HH, £44.99 pm including free voice and
data
> >calls evenings and weekends and some? free calls, apparently not
£13
> >worth as it was with just HH.
> >
> >We don't have access to ADSL yet.
> >
> >Also is there any problem with installing HH in the loft (node
zero
> >to be) and running CAT5 to the study?
> >
> >I have an old 486/66 with dual serial ports, could I use this as a
> >router/firewall (linux?) with a TA??
> >
> >Thanks alot,
> >
> >sorry for the barrage of questions.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Chris Williams

> http://profiles.msn.com.

,,,
(o o)
Stuart Grimshaw         www.schoolsnet.com          sg@xxxxxxx
Special Projects Developer                            t: 07976 625221
Schoolsnet LTD             .oooO  Oooo.               f: 0870 7060260
\_)  (_/

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/3/_/2065/_/974465166/