RE: ISDN vs ADSL

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: ISDN vs ADSL
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:23:55 GMT

>againsts of ISDN vs ADSL, but I just wanted to let you know that there
is a
>way to host a web server.

I'll believe it when I see it....

>The USB version is non-NAT so there's nothing stopping you from hosting
>web server.  What messes things up is that the IP address allocation is
>dynamic and changes after two hours of inactivity (or whenever the
gateways
>get bounced - which seems quite frequent!).

I wish it were that simple... So, do you, personally, have a webserver
online from your house, right now, on ADSL, that I could connect to? - I
don't mean to sound condescending, but I just won't believe this can be
done
until I see it with my own eyes! - It's just too expensive to take the
plunge based on 3rd-hand information from "someone's mate".

>You can get around all this by registering with a dynamic dns hosting
>service found at http://www.dyndns.org. I haven't tried
this yet, but a
>colleague of mine has and it runs well.  As I understand it, a small
piece
>of client software detects your IP address changes and registers it
with
>dyndns, so any referrals to your domain name will have the latest IP
>address.

I currently do exactly this with my HH service. there are several other
DDNS
services available as well, but I use dyndns.org  This one only provides
the
service, they do not directly provide the DDNS client. They rely on 3rd
party authors to provide the client software, and there are links to a
number of the authors sites. I use BALI DDNS client from Baliciel software,
which seems to work well, this gives me a couple of dynamic URLS,
(www.paulgordon.homeip.net, and www.colworth.homeip.net), - I could have up
to 30 or so, I think.... which should be accessable avery day after 18:00,
when my 0800 free phone number becomes available, and my proxy server
autodials BT Internet. The free service does not allow you to use your own
domain name, if you have one, you have to setup up something under one of
their domains.

Cheers.

Paul G.