Re: Which book to buy?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Which book to buy?
  • From: "John Benfield" <john.benfield@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:43:38 +0000

>I've been considering getting one of the books listed on Mark's web
>page, as hopefully I'll be moving to a new abode soon and can start
some
>serious automating :-)

>I can't decide however between the "Smart Homes for Dummies"
(probably
>quite appropriate) and "Home Automation and Wiring".  The
Amazon pages
>don't make it any easier to decide, so I was wondering if anyone had
>bought either and could offer a few comments to help me make my mind
up.

God, finally something that I can comment on. Been lurking for a month so
this is my virginal post.

I've purchased both books. At present I've only read the Smart Homes for
Dummies, and I have to say I found it quite light weight. Managed to read
the whole this over four days on the train to work. I don't claim to know
a great deal about HA but the only area I found of real technical interest
to me was video distribution (as I've absolutely no idea how to does
this). I found the section on X-10 very disappointing as this is something
I defiantly want to understand in more detail.

If you can afford to wait another week, I'll report on the Home Automation
and Wiring.

Regards
John Benfield

e-mail is strictly forbidden.