Re: ibutton door access control

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: ibutton door access control
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <Des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:09:19 +0100

> From: paul gordon [mailto:paul_gordon@xxxxxxx]

> How exactly does having a flashy, secure, personalised ibutton
> improve upon
> this situation? - it's still a "thing" that you have to
carry around with
> you, and if you leave the house in the morning and forget to take it
with
> you (can happen!) - you're stuffed! - If you "lose" your key
at work, or
> lock it in your car, you're stuffed - you're standing at your front
door,
> with no ibutton, and no way of gaining access to your own house!

You could always go for the really naff i-button ring ;)

> In my view, the ONLY way forward for conditional access control
> has got to
> be based on one of the various biometric recognition
> technologies. Currently
> I am aware of reliable recognition based on fingerprint scanning,
> Iris/retina scanning, voice recognition, and face recognition. I
> have seen

The fingerprint scanning seems like a fairly cheap way of achieving a
non-losable key, that is hard to duplicate. Although I'd much rather give a
thief my keys than one of my fingers ;)

Des gibbons

Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2622/5/_/2065/_/954504506/

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications