Re: ibutton door access control

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: ibutton door access control
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:17:40 +0100

At 12:00 31/03/00 GMT, you wrote:
>possesses it. (suppose someone mugs you outside your house & steals
your
>"token"?? - they'd get in.)

And this is better than them knocking you cold so they can hold your head
up to the camera?  How?  Actually, if they mug you outside your house,
what's to stop them just waiting till you open the door then following you?

>1) to _always_ permit authorised entry
>2) to _always_ deny unauthorised entry

And there _isn't_ one of those in existence yet, and almost certainly
_never_ will be while people have _any_ role to play in security.

>lose their key?, or worse still, how do you know how many valid tokens
are
>out there?

Much easier than with an existing lock and key.  I'm just looking for a
slightly enhanced version of the lock and key I currently have, with a
similar level of security.  I don't live in a fortress, and don't want to.
ibutton, or similar systems work very well, to a well established standard
of security/reliability/vulnerability, and that's fine for me.  They are
not perfect, for sure.

>physical key, what's to stop them copying it, or passing it on to
someone
>else?

If it's a cryptographic iButton, and they manage that, you can be sure that
they would have otherwise found another weak point to attack.  Security is
never perfect, all you can do is 'best guess' within your budget to cover
the flaws that you can cover, and keep up with methods to overcome them.

>there's still no intelligence there, it's just moving a flawed
mechanical
>system to a flawed electronic system with nearly all the same
drawbacks.

But it's worked for years.  That's good enough for most.  If you think
biometrics are flawless you could be in for a surprise.  Taking one, very
simple example, if you design a system around your single pinhole camera,
and I can't defeat it with a photograph of you, and it never locks you out,
I'll eat my microLAN device...

>So, who's going to design an interface betwen my door-camera and my
>door-lock, by way of a PC in the middle?

I'll do it.  How much money have you got?  I'll be needing all of that for
a start... oh, and a key to your house so I can try it out... and would you
like the in-car version too?  What do you drive?

<g>

Nigel

@Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the net.
Try @Backup FREE and recieve 300 points from mypoints.com Install now: