RE: [KAT5]IR questions (Was New poll for kat5-users)

  • Subject: RE: [KAT5]IR questions (Was New poll for kat5-users)
  • From: "Tony Butler" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 15:45:12 +0100

> Quoting Tony Butler <lists@xxxxxxx>:
>
> > Couple of questions about the IR upgrade:
>
> Only Tony could stretch "couple" to mean SIX.

LOL, it's an irish "couple" ;)

> > 1. What will actually receive the IR signals - is this
> something built
> > into the RX units, or something we buy separately and plug
> into the RX units?
>
> It will be an IR receiver on the end of a short lead that can
> be positioned anywhere convienient.

Will this come WITH the units or we have to buy somewhere separately?
Can we extend the leads if necessary?

> > 2. Ditto xmitting the IR signals - something built in or, say, a
> > xantech emitter plugged in?
>
> An IR emitter on the end of a lead. It should be possible to
> use some of the Xantech emitter. This will be confirmed after UKHA2004

Okey doke.  Again, something to buy as extra, or supplied with the units?
Wouldn't this give maximum compatibility if xantech compatible?

> > 3. Will it be possible to "forward" the signals say
from on RX
> > unit->TX unit, which then plugs into another RX unit and
> forwards it to the final TX unit?
>
> Not something I have tried. DEFINATELY CANT be done directly
> by plugging a lead in but could possibly be done by shining
> an emitter at a receiver.

No?  I expected this would be a "yeah, no problem" type answer
since you can
replace the Tivo to sky emitter route with a physical cable for example.
Oh well......

> > 4. Does it operate over audio or video channels, or will
> either do?
> > (I'm thinking of custom all audio or all video units here)
>
> Trade secret but most (if not all) custom units will be able
> to have an upgrade board fitted.

LOL, I guess, if I require it for the audio only boards then you will
advice
me specifically at the time eh?

> > 5. What happens where I want one RX unit to feed signals back to
> > multiple sources - do I just buy a connector block type
> thing and plug
> > it into the TX unit, then hang a load of emitters off that?
>
> Again, not something I have tried but assuming the Xantech
> emitters work OK then any Xantech or similar amplified
> distribution block that plugs in as an emitter should work.

K.  Just thinking that I have one powermid blasting to 1/2 a dozen bits of
kit that would have to be replaced with a shed load of emitters.....

> > 6. Any ideas how much it will cost yet & how much ready built
units

> Not fully finalised the prices as I dont know how long the
> proper PCB's will take to assemble but the price will be
> affordable :-)

How did I know you were going to say that? :)

> The existing units will cease to be once I have used all the
> existing PCB's and these will be replaced by the Mk2 units
> which will are designed to offer IR and SCART control as standard.
>
> before. If someone didnt want the IR capability then it could
> be built without those parts. Having said that, if IR was

Fair nuff.

> subsequently needed, the unit would have to be returned to
> have the components fitted to the existing circuit board as
> the IR Upgrade boards would not be suitable for the Mk2 units.

So you've basically spent months designing something that will be
essentially obsolete in a few months time, once we've all upgraded our Mk1
units :)

> Hope that helps.

Indeed.  Though I do have another, important, question, which the mention
of
"powermid" just reminded me of:
How wee do the IR returns perform?
I'm thinking of receiver in lounge with sunlight streaming through the
window, falling on the receiver.
My powermid in the lounge has bit of a mare at the height of summer - I
have
to keep hiding it behind the centre speaker on top of the TV, and swbo
keeps
moving it back into the light :(

Also, how good is the range both in terms of distance and angle you aim the
remote?

Cheers,

Tony