RE: [KAT5] New poll for kat5-users

Quoting Tony Butler <lists@xxxxxxx>:

> Couple of questions about the IR upgrade:

Only Tony could stretch "couple" to mean SIX.

> 1. What will actually receive the IR signals - is this something built
into
> the RX units, or something we buy separately and plug into the RX
units?

It will be an IR receiver on the end of a short lead that can be positioned
anywhere convienient.

> 2. Ditto xmitting the IR signals - something built in or, say, a
xantech
> emitter plugged in?

An IR emitter on the end of a lead. It should be possible to use some of
the
Xantech emitter. This will be confirmed after UKHA2004

> 3. Will it be possible to "forward" the signals say from on
RX unit->TX
> unit, which then plugs into another RX unit and forwards it to the
final TX
> unit?

Not something I have tried. DEFINATELY CANT be done directly by plugging a
lead
in but could possibly be done by shining an emitter at a receiver.

> 4. Does it operate over audio or video channels, or will either do?
(I'm
> thinking of custom all audio or all video units here)

Trade secret but most (if not all) custom units will be able to have an
upgrade
board fitted.

> 5. What happens where I want one RX unit to feed signals back to
multiple
> sources - do I just buy a connector block type thing and plug it into
the TX
> unit, then hang a load of emitters off that?

Again, not something I have tried but assuming the Xantech emitters work OK
then
any Xantech or similar amplified distribution block that plugs in as an
emitter
should work.

> 6. Any ideas how much it will cost yet & how much ready built
units
> including IR will cost & if you will continue to offer non-IR
solutions?

Not fully finalised the prices as I dont know how long the proper PCB's
will
take to assemble but the price will be affordable :-)

The existing units will cease to be once I have used all the existing PCB's
and
these will be replaced by the Mk2 units which will are designed to offer IR
and
SCART control as standard.

As before, the PCB will be designed for multiple builds making it much
easier
for me to offer RGB versions than before. If someone didnt want the IR
capability then it could be built without those parts. Having said that, if
IR
was subsequently needed, the unit would have to be returned to have the
components fitted to the existing circuit board as the IR Upgrade boards
would
not be suitable for the Mk2 units.

Hope that helps.

Keith