RE: [KAT5]IR questions (Was New poll for kat5-users)

Quoting Tony Butler <lists@xxxxxxx>:

> > It will be an IR receiver on the end of a short lead that can
> > be positioned anywhere convienient.
>
> Will this come WITH the units or we have to buy somewhere separately?
> Can we extend the leads if necessary?

The IR receiver will be supplied. Lead will be approx 5-600mm long which
should
be long enough for most applications. If not, a 3.5mm Headphone extension
lead
may work but it really needs to be screened cable.

> > An IR emitter on the end of a lead. It should be possible to
> > use some of the Xantech emitter. This will be confirmed after
UKHA2004

> Okey doke.  Again, something to buy as extra, or supplied with the
units?
> Wouldn't this give maximum compatibility if xantech compatible?

I dont forsee any problems with Xantech or other emitters if they are just
single emitters. The ones with dual emitters and/or visible blink LED's may
not
work as they need a higher voltage to operate. This will be confirmed at
UKHA2004

> > > 3. Will it be possible to "forward" the signals
say from on RX
> > > unit->TX unit, which then plugs into another RX unit and
> > forwards it to the final TX unit?
> >
> > Not something I have tried. DEFINATELY CANT be done directly
> > by plugging a lead in but could possibly be done by shining
> > an emitter at a receiver.
>
> No?  I expected this would be a "yeah, no problem" type
answer since you can
> replace the Tivo to sky emitter route with a physical cable for
example.
> Oh well......

Different types of signals. The Emitter LED is driven with a modulated
signal,
the IR receiver outputs a demodulated signal.

> LOL, I guess, if I require it for the audio only boards then you will
advice
> me specifically at the time eh?

Yep :-)

> So you've basically spent months designing something that will be
> essentially obsolete in a few months time, once we've all upgraded our
Mk1
> units :)

The IR Upgrade boards will effectively be obsolete but the circuitry wont.
Its
used for the Mk2 units and the switcher. Also, considering how many Mk1
units
are in existance it will take a while to get them all upgraded (assuming
lots
of people wish to do so).

> > Hope that helps.
>
> Indeed.  Though I do have another, important, question, which the
mention of
> "powermid" just reminded me of:
> How wee do the IR returns perform?
> I'm thinking of receiver in lounge with sunlight streaming through the
> window, falling on the receiver.
> My powermid in the lounge has bit of a mare at the height of summer -
I have
> to keep hiding it behind the centre speaker on top of the TV, and swbo
keeps
> moving it back into the light :(
>
> Also, how good is the range both in terms of distance and angle you
aim the
> remote?

The IR receiver modules I used are very tolerant of any other source of IR
and I
havent had any problem with them being blinded.

Range is excellent. I have a couple of cheapo DVD players that are very
fussy
about the angle of IR and unless you are deadly accurate pointing the
remote at
them they just dont respond.

With the IR repeater in use and an IR emitter stuck to the DVD player I can
point the remote alomost anywhere in the room and it works a treat.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv