Re: Use of same cable for Video and computer

  • Subject: Re: Use of same cable for Video and computer
  • From: tonydenson
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:54:00 +0000

Sorry, it was a misunderstanding on my part. I have now read your
write up of signal formats and appreciate that to handle S-Video you
need all 4 pairs. My problem is that I have one Cat5 cable that I
laid before I built an extension and it's difficult to put another
in. However, there's no reason why I can't go wireless for more of
the LAN (I already have a Wireless Access Point).

--- In <a
href="/group/kat5-users/post?postID=4vjMHbv7cZ9II0S-QlR8xnBBHAUWYDaGex1aYHX2wI0vclYA0eAZgdy129iddBfI5WB4tKg7M9QAY80jSVAdcQ">kat5-users@xxxxxxx</a>,
Keith Doxey <kat5users@d...> wrote:
> Quoting tonydenson <tonydenson@y...>:
>
> > A pretty basic question but I've been through the archives here
and
> > can't see any reference to it. Is it possible to use the same
piece
> > of Cat5 to support both the Kat5 technology and a computer LAN ?
It
> > seems the obvious thing to want to do. I appreciate I might only
get
> > one video channel instead of two.
> >

> Hi Tony,
>
> It *COULD* be done and would probably work fine but it totally goes
against the
> concept of structured cabling which is a single cable for a single
purpose.

> If you used commercially available CAT5 splitters designed to bodge
two
> ethernet circuits over a single cable you would have the following
available on
> the KAT5 units.
>
> Composite Video - Orange Pair
> Right Audio - Green Pair
>
> As these are the two pairs used by ethernet so are the ones that
would be
> available on either of the sockets of the splitter. You would
obviously need to
> ensure that you got the two socets the right way round!
>
> As I said, it could be done but you then lose the ability for S-
Video and